School year

"And don't forget to bring a pair or two of-"

"I know that, mother" Tadase huffed with slight irritation lacing his voice. He was looking at the mirror which mirror back his looks. Light flaxen hair that looked so soft looking that any girl would want to run her hands on them, Bright mahogany eyes that shone with life and wisdom and perfectly ironed and straight uniform of his that looked good on his lean yet well-build frame. He passed with flying colours in looks department. He looked just like any "perfect" student should.

Who is this person you ask? Well, the protagonist of the story- Tadase Hotori, 16, who is about to start his new school year at new school. His kind and generous look on his face is his strong point, never mind the fact that he doesn't actually possess any of those characters. After spending his entire —or most of his— school year away from city, he (or more like his mother) is determined to send him to city's school and she knew exactly which school as well.

"But Tadase, You are going to be away for two years...I ought to make sure you are as comfortable as you can get in your place," His mother, Mizue, scolded in return. She looked up at her son with a stern look before softening her gaze as she pulled him in a embrace. "Plus, I'm going to be missing you,"

"I know, I'll too...Mom," Tadase whispered back as he wrapped his arms around his mother's tiny frame. He looked up and his eyes fixed at a photo which depicted a shorter boy hugging a dog. It was obvious that the boy in the picture was Tadase in his junior high days. Compared to his young form, he was now taller and more mature in both looks and nature. He was not that naive, innocent boy who dreamt of world domination and such. He had changed and he was happy that he did take a step forward to reality.

"Tadase, promise me that you'll come and visit me whenever you've got time," Mizue pulled away and looked at him with pleading eyes. Two years can change a person in variety of ways and Mizue didn't want that happen to tadase, She was selfish but she didn't care. All she wanted was to be with her only reason of her life. After the death of his father, She had undergone serious depression that almost killed her but Tadase reminded her that her life doesn't end there and that was just the beginning. Her son gave her hope to live the life that she has got. So...she will take advantage of every opportunity her life offers to bring her little boy back to her.

"I promise, I'll come to visit you every month, Don't worry mother," Tadase reassured her with a smile. "I love you, mom...And I'll always," Mizue smiled sadly and hugged him tightly.

"Y-Yes, I love you too, my dear,"

•••

With a last goodbye, Tadase made his way to school which was about 120 kilometers from his house. Tadase lives (or lived) with his mother in countryside, away from all city's chaos and loud atmosphere. After the death of his father which happened when he was 7 years old, they had moved from Seiyo. But now, After 9 years, His mother wants him to join Seiyo academy which according to her is perfect place for him.

Let him explain— Seiyo academy was one of the most prestigious school of the state in her (mizae) time and it was known for its perfect scores of the students in academics as well as sports department. From what he read in school's catalogue, the school is situated around calm and peaceful area; The atmosphere of school will be well calming and Dormitory will be affordable and people there will be welcoming because it IS the school for best students around.

After travelling for about 1½ hour in train and ½ hour walk from train station to main city, Tadase reached the city of seiyo but he was yet to reach the school although he had followed same route that catalogue showed or at least he tried to. Sweat dripped down from his chin and dropped down on the bawling earth. Looking up, he shielded his eyes from sun's heated glare, not to mention he was already exhausted. He double checked if he had come to the same place the map (which catalogue offered) showed. He looked up from map and his mahogany eyes observed his surroundings. He had called school's office earlier and they also said to follow the given direction and this is where it brought him. All he could see was lush greenery that stretched as far as his eyes could see. On his right was a way that lead to somewhere at the top of what seemed like a hill. The road looked so deserted and...eerie, Not to mention the road that leads to god-knows-where is surrounded by forest in both sides so it was risky to take that route. But on his left was...cliff (that leads down to god-knows-where because all could see down is dark, lush dense forest) that offered a gorgeous view of city. So with that he can conclude that...