Chapter 2

Megan opened the door, surveying the dormitory and getting a feel for the rooms inside. The mansion-like school clearly had a thing for size, even the student accommodation was huge. The corridors were large, long and high, and the furnishings ornate, but the majority of the place, to Megan at least, seemed to be just air.
She heard someone turn, the heel of their shoe causing the floorboard to creak softly, and make their way towards the dorm corridor.
Megan mentally forced herself to relax, relaxed muscles moved far faster than tense ones, and if it came to a fight she'd rather be prepared to spring into action instantly. She heard the handle being turned, and quickly pulled her hair bobble out of her hair, going for a relaxed, non-threatening look. The girl from earlier appeared through the far door and skipped towards her, allowing Megan to finally get a good look at her.
Earlier she'd thought that the girl had short dark brown hair, but now Megan was closer to her she could see that the girls hair was actually up in a bun. When she finally stopped she was so close that Megan could actually make out the colour of her eyes - a strong willed blue.
Megan lowered her head, making herself look shy and harmless, opening her eyes wider than usual in a naïve fashion.
"Hey, I'm Lula. You're my new roommate?" Lula asked her.
Her voice was strong willed, like her eyes, and Megan nodded in response.
"I'm Megan," she told Lula.
"Cool. Just a couple of ground rule, don't touch my stuff without asking and never touch my food. It won't end well," Lula told her, speaking faster than most people did. "So we cool? Ok great. Laters!"
She gave her a quick smile and turned away, leaving Megan feeling like she'd just witnessed a train reck.
She let go of her knife, her arm falling limply to her side. Taking on a weak persona hadn't been the right choice with this girl, on one hand Lula wouldn't seek out her company, but on the other she felt uncomfortable with the way she been completely underestimated. Megan sighed, maybe it had just been to long since she had had a fight, and she needed to let off some steam.
Megan chose the room closest to the dorm door, it was next to Lula's, but not directly opposite it. She left that room and walked to the end of the corridor, where she found a kitchen-come-dining area, that was for communal use. Two piles of suitcases were already there, so she took the ones that belonged to Megan back to her room and started sorting them out. As she was folding clothes she could hear Lula's conversation with her mother.
It sounded like a normal conversation, and Megan wondered what that was like for a moment. She didn't spare much time for though on her mother, after all, she never met the woman.
Her moment of thought was interrupted by Lula's conversation on the other side of the wall.
"Too late for the fire thing," she said, a smirk clear in her tone.
Megan flinched at the word 'fire', her gloved right hand flitting to side and her eyes squeezing shut automatically.
She forced her eyes open and stood up slowly, walking to the full-length mirror on the wall of her room. She slowly lifted up the corner of her sweater and the top beneath it, but got frustrated and ended up yanking it off quickly. She looked at her reflection and the scars that covered it's body.
Nauseated she shoved the clothes back over her head and straightened them out, looking at the clock on the wall and realising it was time for orientation. She made it to the dorm door, before deciding it was better stay in character, and doubling back to Lula's, knocking, and telling her it was time for orientation.
She lost Lula somewhere in the auditorium, but wasn't alone for long. Like a homing bird Jen quickly swooped down on her, and dragged her off to some seats where the rest of her dorm were. The Dean gave a speech and then told the school rules, whilst Jen whispered about gossip in Megan's free ear.
"I've been promised that there's actually a really hot TA working here, oh! Get this! The future queen of light is here - going to school with us! It's amazing!"
Megan nodded her head to Jen as the Dean finally finished his list of things not to do. Like the other students who were bored out of their minds she clapped unenthusiastically.
"And why do you wear those black leather gloves?" Jen asked Megan, watching her hands.
"Telepathy can't be controlled when physically touching the other person," she lied, running one gloved hand over the other, "so this is a preventative method."
Jen sighed, "it must be great to be a telepath, you're kind are so rare now."
"It's really not great," Megan replied, glad that she'd made a good choice with her fake identity. She might have no clue what it was she was doing here, or what her 'watcher' had planned for her, but it looked like, for the first time in years, she had a place to stay.

--------
You can find Lula's (Megan's first dorm mate) story here:
https://www.wattpad.com/story/71603093-call-me-vex