Chapter 2

Bree's POV

It begins to rain the very moment we take shelter under a small grove of trees that didn't help so much since the trees were still quite bare from a late spring still passing through. "Bree you might get sick!" Tony says as panic sets in for him. He pulls off his coat and makes a roof-type structure over both of our heads. I roll my dark brown eyes agitatedly as I cross my still thin arms over my chest. 

"Tony, I'll be fine! I'm not going to catch a cold from a little bit of rain." I pout in annoyance not bothering to hide the fact that I was pissed by how latched on Tony had gotten ever since he found out that I had lung cancer. 

He shakes his head and denies my protest. "No, you're just starting to get better. I'm not going to take any chances." I groan in exasperation as sometimes I had just wished he gave a little bit of space between the two of us. I felt like I hadn't gotten any time to myself since we were actually official. I still loved him of course, but at the same time I would find myself getting angry or snappy at the littlest mistakes before feeling guilty again for treating him that way.

I let out a sigh as I take Tony by the arms and sit us down beside each other. The sopping wet grass seeps through my pants but at the moment I didn't exactly care. My hair was tied into a messy bun, I was dressed in shorts and a Jimmi Hendrix oversized t-shirt borrowed from Tony, my makeup was now smeared due to the rain splashing against my eyes.

I had to admit, Tony didn't look any better. His face drooped downward, eyes grown dark circles from lack of sleep the past two days, and the bags of clothing we bought earlier today had been tossed to the edges of our feet making it look as if we were completely homeless. It was just so obvious that Tony and I were outsiders to this land, also known as tourists.

As high school had come to an end, Tony and I took a roadtrip to Washington just as a celebration from actually surviving four years of what was basically a living hell. Since the days of bullies and jocks were coming to an end, we toasted a new start to reality by going out in the real world to get a taste of what life could be like for the both of us. So far, it wasn't so great. On our way down, we got lost trying to find the hotel we had made reservations for and it took us another unecessary two hours to find it, I accidently left my wallet in one of the parks we visited and had not realized this until we were about fifteen minutes down the street and we never found it, Tony had run out of money and we could now only afford to use whatever clothes we had bought early this morning before realizing we were completely broke.

It was safe to say that this trip had taken a turn for the worst. I felt absolutely homesick and all I wanted was to go back home to San Diego and say goodbye to Taylor before she leaves for Seattle which was now in less than a day. We had less than twenty-four hours to make it back to San Diego before Taylor left and we knew it would be best if we got on the road now knowing something inevitabley bad would happen to us, putting everything on a toll before making it back home in time.

I turn to face Tony as he looks straight back to me. His hair was now drenched in Washington raindrops that streamed down the sides of his cheeks. I feel the corners of my mouth twitch up as he and I lean in toward a kiss.

-----------------------------------

Taylor's POV

"Remember two years ago on the rooftop after the sun had already started to rise?" Vic questions as I sit comfortably in the passengers seat of his new car since his old one was beyond repair after the car crash. I feel my body twitch in angst the slightest bit before shutting out the memory. This last day... I wanted to make the most of it with Vic instead of remembering the bad times that almost killed me. Literally.

"And I told you that if I ever left San Diego to start a new life somewhere else that I wanted to find a perfect place and just take it all in one last time?" I repeat my own words as I remind myself of New Year's Eve with my best friends. My lips twitch in an upward motion and I feel a pang of guilt etch another tally on the inside of my heart for every time I'd felt so selfish for actually going through with this.

Vic throws me a mischevious looking glance and smirks at me before returning his attention back to the road. I feel my entire body shift to a different position as I perk up. His smile widens as he knew he had a grip on my awareness. "No way!" I exclaim with excitement. He doesn't turn to look at me and instead keeps his eyes glued to the road as he continues to smile and nod. "Vic, did you really find a place?"

"I sure as hell did. I found the perfect place for you to be able to be sent off with the best of memories." Vic states in obvious satisfaction with himself. "But you have to be there at 6:43 or else you might miss it." He says parking the car around a corner of a neighborhood I'd passed by so many times but never actually gone through.

He leads me out onto the road, forcing my eyes shut with his two hands. I feel the rough streets below my bare feet since I had forgotten to bring shoes before we left my house. The cool evening air sets itself upon my bare skin, wrapping me in an invisible coat of late spring air. I hear the sound of sprinklers to the right of me and just as Vic lifts his hands away from my face, my eyes are barely able to adjust to the sight that stood all around them.

The sun was setting straight down the road of the neighborhood casting an ultimate glow that was beautiful enough to lift the air from my lungs as I just stood there in awe. I turn around to face Vic who stands there smiling at me with a smug look smeared across his face that was illuminated my the radiant shine projected by the San Diego sunset. Colors of bright orange and red swirl around through my closed eyelids as I feel Vic's touch wrap itself around my waist, spinning me around to face him.

"I don't want to have to leave you..." I suddenly say, bringing back the subject he so clearly did not want to face. Vic's goofy grin saddens the slightest bit as he rests his chin on my shoulder.

I feel his rough fingertips run themselves up and down my spine. "Who said you were ever leaving me? Taylor, even if you're a million miles away, I'll keep you in my heart. Forever."

"Do you promise that when I come back to visit during winter break that you won't be skipping around town with some bimbo you met at a concert?" I say half-jokingly. I hear him let out a quiet and low chuckle.

"I swear. When you come back, I'll be right here waiting for your arrival. I'll leave the light on so that you know I'm at home. You can come in and we can talk for hours in person instead of over the phone or on Skype." I let out an uneasy sounding sigh.

I wasn't sure how a long distance relationship worked. How was I to know that I could completely trust that Vic wouldn't cheat on me while I was gone. And how could he trust me? I let my mouth drop open for even thinking about that last thought. I would never cheat on Vic, right? Vic is the only person that I love and the only person that I ever will.

-------------------------

Author's Note:

HAHA I BET YOU WEREN'T EXPECTING THIS UPDATE SO SOON. Well that's because even tho on the first chapter of Selfish Machines I'm already bored with it. So sorry if you actually read that and liked it. ANYWAYS, I'm afraid that if I don't post this sooner, you guys will lose interest and forget about it. So I'm focusing on this for a while. ILY 5EVER IF YOU'RE READING THIS.