I stop reading the rest of the article and swallow hard. I was shocked by the last paragraph. This event occurred on this very day. 30 years ago approximately. And the investigation is still transpiring? The serial killer still hasn't been found to this day?

Does that mean the man who slaughtered the children could possibly still be out there? Still roaming in the streets? What if he could be somewhere out there in Kansas City?

My heart starts to hammer again. I could feel my arms and legs tremble convulsively this time.

Don't start jumping into conclusions, (Name), I told myself, taking a deep breath to calm and steady my nerves. That's definitely not going to help with your anxiety one bit. Who knows, the man might've already been caught and has been executed. Maybe there just hasn't been a recent report or article about it yet.

As I close my laptop, I make my way over to my bed, slowly lay my head against my pillow comfortably and close my eyes.

Maybe some sleep will help shake the eerie feeling off me... I thought to myself.

But in truth, even in my sleep I couldn't escape.

***

Usually I'd hear my dad talk to my grandparents about how the testings in his labs are doing so far. But instead, I heard parts of their loud disputation from downstairs.

It was about my grandparents' income and other essentials, especially food wise.

"You mean to tell me that (F/N of Stepmom) put a stop to the card because your ass couldn't stop spendin' money on things you don't need, boy!" I heard my grandfather vociferate pretty loudly at my dad.

"I didn't even know she put a stop to the card in the first place, Dad!" My father tried defending himself, "I didn't even purchase anything on that card. I also asked (Name) to provide you guys-"

"Oh, shut the hell up, boy! There you go. You're back at it again with them damn excuses. Always tryin' to put the blame on (Name)!"

My father sighs in frustration.

"Look, Dad, you have to hear me out. I specifically asked (Name) to go out and provide you guys with more of the essentials you and Mom need. And I didn't realize she wasn't capable of taking full responsibility of-"

"Taking full responsibility?" My grandfather scoffs and snickers. "You should be the one to talk, boy. All you ever did when you were her age was lay on your ass studying that stupid cytology shit in college, watch TV, eat my food and breathe my air. Just as lazy as you could ever be!"

I purse my lips, trying to stifle my huge urge to burst out laughing as I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen.

They both glance over at me now. My grandfather nodded his head at me and greeted me with a "good morning". My dad just looked at me and didn't say a word. He eventually turned his attention back to my grandfather, resuming their vehement argument.

"Good morning, dear." My grandmother greeted me as she planted a kiss on my forehead, then whispered in my ear. "Sorry you had to wake up to hearing this stupid crap between the two. Did you rest well otherwise, honey?"

"It's alright, grandma," I smiled at her. "And I slept okay. Not too bad I guess." I gave her a slight shrug.

"That's good." she said as pointed to the food on the table, "Go ahead and eat up, now, dear. I made one of your favorite breakfast meals just for you. I hope you enjoy it!" she grinned.