Chapter 13

"Okay, I'm going to ask again but are you sure that it is going to make it onto the album?" Stephanie fidgeted with the knobs in front of her, adjusting the sound that flowed from the speakers.

"For the love of Pete, yes it will make it onto the album," Adrienne huffed and slumped down into the chair next to her friend. "I swear Steph, you are the most irritating artist that I've ever worked with. If you weren't my friend..."

"I only irritate you because I am your friend. If I were just some random artist, you'd be super sweet to me." She batted her long eyelashes at Adrienne, "Now, you're sure that..."

"If you ask me one more time if that fucking song is going to make it onto the album, I'm going to make a call and have it pulled... so stop! Also," Addy reached into her bag and pulled out a manila envelope, "I have the album sleeve, with the song on the track listing. Is that proof enough for you?"

Stephanie took the colored piece of paper into her hands, studying it carefully as a grin grew on her face. "This is beautiful and perfect. Thank you so much! Is everything ready for the party this weekend?"

Adrienne nodded, "Yes and before you ask, I've done everything in my power to make sure that Matthew doesn't realize that the party is actually for him. Does he suspect anything?"

"Nope, not that he's letting on to at least."

"And, you are going to relent to whatever I have planned for your actual album release party?"

Stephanie rolled her eyes, "I told you that I would."

"Good, because I have quite the shindig planned for you," Adrienne took the album cover back from Stephanie, placing it gently into it's protective covering.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself, there is no guarantee that anyone will want to come."

Adrienne smiled, "This is where I tell you that several more stations have requested access to the song and from the numbers that they have sent me, the requests for your song have gone up exponentially. There is plenty of interest in your music Steph, therefore, the great need to have one hell of a release party."

Stephanie chuckled, "You are the marketing guru, so I leave my fate in your hands my friend."

"Well it's about fucking time!" Adrienne pushed her chair back and stood up, "Don't spend too long in here, the album is done and you should get some rest before the craziness hits you upside the head."

"Thanks for the imagery, I will be be out of here soon enough." Stephanie turned the volume up as Adrienne slipped out the door. She had played this song over and over again, it had been a last minute addition to the EP and the first time she hadn't used her own lyrics, but the words that Matthew had written to her just needed to be turned into a song, so she had. It had taken her several tries lying down the track before she had been satisfied, but now, as she played it again, it was exactly as she had imagined it.

The music pulsed through the air, and Stephanie could feel the vibrations from down the street as her and Matthew approached the club.

"You realize that I know about the party, right?" Matthew reached down, taking her hand in his.

She nodded, "I figured it would be difficult to keep it a secret. I guess that's why it's a good thing the party isn't the only surprise that will happen tonight."

"You don't need to go all out for me. You know that I'm just fine with a quiet night at home or a small gathering of friends, right?"

"I know, but everyone deserves to be spoiled from time to time and lord knows that you spoil me all the time. I wanted to do this for you, so just shut up and pretend to be shocked."