Chapter 6

The blaring of the damn alarm clock roused her out of her slumber. She rolled over, smacking the top of the blasted device in hopes that she'd manage to hit the off button. The room fell silent and she groaned loudly at the pain that pounded in her head. Stupid hangover. Stupid alcohol. She squeezed her eyes shut, rubbing at them with the heels of her hands. She blindly reached back over, feeling around on her night stand for the bottle of water she had placed there last night. Her hand slapped at something, which was loudly followed by a sloshing, thunking sound, as the bottle hit the hardwood floor.

"Shit," Stephanie exclaimed. She opened her eyes, spying the bottle as it was joyously rolling under the bed. She inched her way towards the edge of the bed, her legs slipping out from beneath the covers and she eased them gently down until the touched the floor. She pushed herself into an upright position and rose up off the bed. Her world was spinning and she squinted her eyes again, the sun and the tilting creating more of a hammering sensation in her head. With her eyes still half closed, she walked out of her room and down the hallway into her kitchen. She made her way straight to the coffee pot. She carefully measured out the grounds and filled the machine with water, flicking on the switch to start the percolating. She reached up into the cupboard and grabbed the bottle of Tylenol and her favorite coffee mug. She popped off the cap off the medicine bottle and extracted two small pills, setting them on the counter next to the mug. She leaned forward and pulled her fridge door open, scanning the contents and realizing that she had nothing of substance to eat stored on its shelves. She shut the door and leaned up against the the counter, glancing down the hallway as she heard padded steps approaching her.

"Morning sleepy," She grinned at her obviously hungover friend.

Adrienne reached the kitchen, dropping to her knees on the carpet, flopping down onto her back, arms and legs outstretched. "Please don't shout at me and why is it so fucking bright in here?"

Stephanie laughed, opening up the pill bottle once again. Grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge she bent down over her friend, "Here, take these and what do you say to a greasy breakfast down the street?"

"Oh yes, please," Adrienne took the Tylenol and water that was offered.

"Here's a cup of coffee," Stephanie poured the black liquid into the mug sitting on the counter, "I'm going to go and get dressed. You know what's weird?"

Adrienne took a long slow sip of the hot coffee, "What?"

Stephanie stuck her head out of her bedroom doorway, "I had the most realistic dream about Matthew last night. I dreamed that he called me and left a message wanting me to call him back, so I did, and we had a good conversation. He let me explain my side and then he said that we could, in a sense, start over. Crazy right?"

"You were super drunk, it was probably an alcohol induced fantasy. You want him to call you so you dreamt that he did. Now hurry and get dressed because I'm starving. Also, I feel like I'm going to vomit. How is that even possible?" Adrienne groaned slightly as Stephanie just giggled at her.

"Wait," Stephanie, having just emerged from her room carrying her purse, dug through it frantically, "Where is my phone?"

Adrienne burped, covering her mouth. "Maybe it fell out," She mumbled through her fingers.

Stephanie held up her index finger, "Hold that thought, let me go and look." She ducked back into her bedroom, reappearing seconds later with the small device clenched in her hand. She pressed one of the buttons on the side, illuminating the screen. "What the hell?"

Adrienne leaned up against her friend, peering over her shoulder, "Let me see."

Stephanie held the phone so it was visible to the prying set of eyes, "Umm, apparently I wasn't dreaming or at least I didn't dream the entire thing." Stephanie swiped at the screen, the text message app popped up for her to read. "It's from Matthew...He says that he hopes that I got some sleep last night, that he's sorry for calling me so late, and that he hopes my hangover isn't too much of a bitch this morning. He also goes on to say that he looks forward to our future conversations. Adrienne, how drunk was I last night?"