He rolled his eyes. "I could see that happen if only and only if my face was one huge bruise." 

                Grinning, I pushed open my door. "I wouldn't talk to you if that happened." 

                "Good to know." 

                Forgetting the umbrella in the back, Chace and I hastened to the main entrance of the bowling alley. Since it was seven o'clock on a Sunday night, there were no children running around. The music blasting from overhead came straight from the pop stations, a nice change to the daytime Disney Channel tunes. The main lights were off, replaced by strobe lights and disco balls and camera lights. The lanes were outlined with a glow-in-the-dark glow. For a moment, I forgot about eating pizza. I just wanted to send a seven-pound bowling ball flying down one of the lanes. 

                But first we had to get our ugly bowling shoes. 

                "Excuse me," I started, placing my hands on the counter top, leaning forward to get the single male worker's attention. He was some nerdy looking kid with thick-rimmed glasses and a rash of acne on his lower chin. The tag on his company shirt read Joe. For a split-second his gaze lingered on my face before dropping down to my chest. "How may I help you?" 

                Annoyed, I pulled up top of my black and white striped sweater. "Seven, please." 

                His eyes never left my chest. "And for your boyfriend?" he asked, his voice nasally and boring. 

                "He's not-" 

                "Size nine," Chace told him, cutting me off. He wrapped a strong arm around my shoulder, bringing me closer to him. "And her eyes are on her face." 

                Embarrassed, Joe scurried away to find our shoes. I glanced up at Chace, grinning. "You just mortified him." 

                Chace shrugged nonchalantly, running his free hand through his shaggy umber hair. "People should have some respect..." 

                "You know, you're starting to seem a little fake again." 

                Just like the other time I'd made that comment, his expression became insulted. "How so?" he demanded. 

                "I don't know. You're just too..." 

                "Too nice? Is that a bad thing?" 

                "No, it's just hard to come by." 

                He crossed his arms over his chest. "Have you ever thought that maybe the reason I'm like this is because I realize it's hard to come by? I want to set an example for other guys. And girls." 

                "It seems fake." 

                "Rose!" 

                I laughed, patting him on the chest. "I'm joking, Chace. You're right. It's good for you to have such a great personality. It makes me wonder in what kind of family your family is." 

                "My family is..." He trailed off, his eyes suddenly gaining an unfamiliar distant look to them. Then he blinked and they were bright again. "They're as normal as divorced parents can be." 

                Judging by that look, I doubted that. "Do they get along?" 

                "They did..."