FORTY-EIGHT: WORK SONG

"I was three days on a drunken sin. I woke with her walls around me. Nothing in her room, but an empty crib..."

SONG: WORK SONG
ARTIST: HOZIER

Christmas was coming around a lot faster than anticipated and I was left staring at windows with expensive jewelry. I wanted to be able to afford this for Brianna, to give her something that couldn't compare to her worth, but shied just a little. I exhaled and turned away, ignoring the nervous pit in the middle of my stomach. Last Christmas she had gotten me the recording studio, and I'm pretty sure I had gotten her nothing--no, I had gotten her an apartment.

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration and then crossed my arms over my chest, completely annoyed with myself. I sucked at presents and I'm pretty sure she knew it. With a final huff, I pulled myself from the window and started down the rest of the strip.

"She's not going to hate you if you don't get her anything," Jorge muttered, sifting through gift ideas on his phone for his girlfriend. "My sister isn't as superficial as she makes herself seem. You could get her a giftcard to Starbucks and you'll heighten your chances of getting laid--Not that I want to think about my sister--"

"You should probably stop," Beto, her second oldest brother, turned to speak. He had nearly tripped over his feet with the movement. I stared at the ground and pressed my hands together. "Seriously, she's constantly telling mom how crazy she for you."

I smiled, knowing that my fiancee was truly and completely in love with me made me feel better about the fact that I didn't have a present for her. I pressed my lips together and shoved my hands into my pockets.

"I just suck at presents," I explained to her brothers, who I was extremely intimidated by. I half anticipated them to corner me into an alley and kick my ass. "I've never been able to give a good present... Ever."

"It's fine," Jorge muttered. "I don't think we inherited that gene."

I shrugged. "I just want to do something cool for her for Christmas."

And even though we visited a crap ton of stores, I still couldn't figure out what to give her.

*

Brianna sat on the floor with her sister, running her fingers through Bean's fur while Juniper stared at the various wedding dresses Brianna still couldn't choose between. I exhaled heavily and dropped down beside her, shoving Bean to the side and laying my head in her lap. She frowned at me, but brushed my hair away from my face anyway.

"You need a haircut," She told me, taking a strand of my fringe and tugged on it gently. "You're starting to look like you're fifteen again."

I smiled and closed my eyes. "I was still cute then."

"Sure, babe," She laughed and continued to push her fingers through my hair tenderly. I licked my lips and exhaled heavily. "Ben texted me that you're freaking out over presents."

I forced my eyes open. "I mean, yeah, but not because of money."

"Oh, I know money isn't an issue with you," Brianna told me and licked her lips, allowing her fingers to dance over the skin of my cheek bones. "You don't have to do anything, Luke. Having you is amazing and I know that sounds cheesy, but there really isn't anything in this world that I could that could make me happier than I am right now."

I sat up and turned, kissing her tenderly. "We should take your sister ice skating."

Brianna smiled against my mouth and then placed her hand against the back of my neck. I loved it when she touched me there, the feeling of her engagement ring sending shivers throughout my entire body. There was a small sound of disgust and then the rapid movement of feet against carpet as Juniper left Brianna and I alone. She exhaled and pressed her body against mine, pulling me to lay on top of her as I placed my hand on her back to lay her down gently. She lifted her legs, wrapping them around my own and pressing her heel against my calf.