TWENTY-FOUR: VAPOR

"Cause I just need another hit, you're the thing that I can't quit..."

SONG: VAPOR

ARTIST: 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER

I wrapped my arms around her, inhaling her scent and fighting the lump in my throat. She gripped the fabric of my shirt and buried her face in my shirt. Honestly, I hadn't expected her to miss me as much I missed her. Brianna didn't show as much emotion as I did, and I was perfectly fine with it. I knew how she felt about me.

"How was your flight?" I asked, tilting her head back and made her look at me. Brianna sniffled and wiped the tears away from her face. "Oh, baby."

Her lip began quivering again and I wasn't sure if it was because she missed me anymore. Her body shook and her hands came to cover her face. I moved her hands away and wiped at her face.

"I'm sorry," She whispered. "I don't even know why I'm crying. It's just--It's been two months, Luke."

"I know," I frowned and ran my hand up her back. "Good news, though," I told her and smiled. "We'll be spending the rest of this tiny tour together and also, I'll get to see you in a ridiculous bridesmaid dress."

Brianna snorted and shook her head at me, calming her breathing. "I really missed you."

I cupped her face. "I missed you just as much, Brianna."

She reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers. "I'm sorry I evaded basically every question about our future."

"We can talk about this later," I told her and walked over to the baggage claim. "Right now I just want to put your things in the rental and then go out for dinner and then get back to the hotel room and let you take advantage of me."

Brianna shook her head at me, but didn't object. We both just needed a day before we got to discussing the things that set our relationship in chalk--erasable but at the expense of the writer.

*

Brianna watched me as I poured a glass of wine for us--courtesy of a couple from another table who had snuck off. She giggled and reached for her glass eagerly, continuing to watch me as I watched the red liquid and then, tentatively, allowed it to my lips.

"What?" I asked after I had taken a sip. "We've drunk wine together before."

"I know, but it wasn't like this," She explained and squinted for a few seconds. "Are you trying to impress me?"

I blushed at the thought. "You're already my girlfriend."

"Doesn't mean that you'll just stop impressing me, Hemmings," She began and took another small sip of her wine. "You do it everyday."

"Oh," I bit down on my lip and looked at the red wine, lifting it to my mouth and taking a long sip. "I--I have something to tell you, actually."

She sat up straighter, the little glint of fear resting in the brown of her eyes. I set my glass down and ran my hands over my jeans, wiping off the sweat.

"Luke, baby, it's me," She reminded me and held out her hand, back of her hand against the table and her palm facing upward. I took her hand and squeezed it tenderly.

"I've gotten off my meds,"

Brianna brought her hand to her mouth to keep the wine from escaping, swallowed, stood from her seat and came around to hug me. I smiled and accepted the kisses being peppered all over my face.

"I'm so proud of you, Luke," She spoke, holding my face in her hands. "So freaking proud of you."

I pressed our foreheads together and smiled softly. "God, I missed you. Never--ever allow me to leave for two months."

She frowned. "You're going to start touring."

"And you can come with me, Brianna," I told her, watching her retreat back to her seat. "You can come with me and we can travel the entire world together, babe. Bonnie and fucking Clyde without all the crime."

"Luke, I have to finish school. I want to finish school," She explained. "I can't just stop my life so you can go on with yours."

I frowned. "Okay," I started pulling out my wallet.

"Let me at least--"

"I got it," I told her and slammed my credit card down on the table, motioning the waiter to come over with the check.

Brianna sunk into her seat, chewing on the inside of her cheek. The entire car ride home I was silent, nodding to comments she made about California without really paying attention to her. When we got to the hotel room she slammed the door.

"Don't take it out on me," She practically snarled. "I want a life too."

"And you don't seem to fucking understand that you are my life," I nearly shouted. "My entire day is you! What is Brianna doing? I hope she ate. I wonder if she has any clean clothing to work with? Mate, do you think she'll like this?" I threw my jacket onto the floor. "You invade my mind like a fucking disease,"

I started pacing.

"You're going at hyper speed, Luke,"

"I think I'm at okay speed, I just want more of you in my life than you're able to handle," I stopped right in front of her. "Do you want me? Do you want us?"

"Of course I do," She exhaled and took a step closer to me. "I'm just--My fear is the same one every time."

I closed my eyes and then got down on one knee. "Brianna Burns, listen to me and fucking listen well," I took her hand. "I will not leave you or forget you. You're imprinted, forever with me."

"I want to believe everything you say and just remind myself that you're not my dad," She whispered and removed her hand from mine. "But he never showed me he would stay and I'm scared you'll always say, but never do."

I stood up and ran my fingers through my hair. "I don't know what else I can do, Brianna. I want everything with you."

"Wanting and needing are two different things," She reminded me and swallowed.

I huffed and took out the journal I had written in everyday since the day I officially met her.

"Whats?"

"Read it and come downstairs to the bar when you're done," I grumbled and moved past her, walking out of the hotel room and slamming the door behind me.

"I wanna breathe you in like your vapor, I want to be the one you remember, I wanna feel your love like the weather all over me, all over me..."