Understands

Author's note: If you enjoy this story please check out my other account acidicstorm. I can't really sign back in on there but some of my other work is up and finished. I hope you enjoy this chapter. Leave a vote or a comment.

I don't respond. I drag Riley upstairs. Less dragging more her coming willingly. What a perfect day to bring a girl home? I just can't catch a break no matter where I go.
The first thing he says is, "hey fat-" pauses to find Riley next to me. "Girlfriend? I'd say about time. He'll eat you up you know."
Riley rush over to him and puts him in a back breaking position. He's tapping out but Riley doesn't have any interest in letting the end pressure of. He's messing with someone ruthless.
"She's not my girlfriend. What are you doing home?"
"Just taking a little break" he answers painfully. Riley let's him go and by her stance she expects him to leave. So he does.
"I didn't know you had a brother."
"I'd like to think of myself as the only child" I say back. I hear her mutter something about agreeing. She takes a seat at my desk and flips through some drawings.
"Sorry I haven't been helping you work out" she announces into the palm of her hand.
"Don't worry about it."
"But I can't help myself not worry. You treat me-"
"Riley!" we hear Joey yell. She looks at me in panic, as if he was an abusive ex. I direct her into a closet that is normally used for winter clothes and stuff. Joey burst through my room door as I look at some art tutorials. "Where is she?"
"Stop acting like an abusive ex. She's not here. You need to learn how to approach her."
"Don't give me that bullshit Conner."
"Look man" I spin around to look at him, "I don't know where she is. But acting like that isn't the way to go."
"I'm tired of you acting like you know it all."
I hear the closet door open. They're kissing each other like they've been separate due to war. I'm disgusted. One: I wanted to kiss Riley. Two: Joey did not deserve her. She leaves my room in his arms. I only see her running back to a controlling piece of crap. I will hear a lecture about this later on tomorrow. If I even decide to go to school tomorrow. I probably won't. I could use a little time away from them.

I go to school. Riley doesn't let me skip out on the day. She claims she needs me for when things get awkward. My presence only made things much worse. Lauren insist on going to the mall for Halloween costumes. I'm really against the idea. I know if I do go I'll probably end up with Lauren or Joey trying to explain why I lied about Riley being in my closet. I've come to hate explaining things to this group.

Lauren tries to play things smoothly.
"Matt! Look at this black suit. No one will see me."
"Yeah that'll look good on you" I comment blandly. I make up for.my tone by picking out a cheetah costume and telling her how adorable she'd look in it. At first she doesn't believe me but sinks into my compliment. Lauren was simply someone who wanted to be compliment every moment possible.
"I wish you'd treat me the way you treat Riley" I hear her say in a whisper.
"First of all Lauren I'm only being a good friend. Riley doesn't have as much privileges as you."
She looks a little guilty. I pinch her cheek and insist she keeps looking for a costume. I almost forgot I'm going to a party with Riley Halloween. But I do want to go trick or treating and maybe egg some houses. Casual Halloween things. I'm sure we can work that into our schedule.
Lauren eventually gets a skin tight costume. I hate Halloween for how slutty it became. It's all about the scares not how short your skirt is or how much cleavage you flash off.
For my costume I just get a ton of fake blood and for back up I get a Joker make up kit. I'm still fat so it's not like I can go all out on a costume.
I wait with Riley while Lauren and Joey get something to eat. I know for a fact they went over there to talk about yesterday's events. I'm finding it hard to not care, I'd like to care about them but they make it complicated.
Riley tugs on my sleeve. I roll my eyes to her. "What's up?"
"Has Lauren spoke to you? She won't speak to me."
I turn to face her. "She hasn't really said mych about yesterday. Not from when I spoke to her."
Her eyes lower shamefully onto the floor. I tap her chin with my index and middle finger. "You don't have to eat that food we can go get you trail mix."
Riley lifts her head up just a bit. She tackles me almost knocking me onto the floor. I hold onto the wall for support. She's a little hyper all of sudden.
"I swear you're the only one who understands me. Let's go get trail mix."
Riley strings me along. I am string...the string that hangs at the bottom of shirt. The one you eventually cut off. I'm waiting Riley. I'm waiting for that moment you cut me off.