Home

I leave school with her. I learn that Riley has no problem drinking energy drinks and stuff like that. She doesn't mind snacking on trail mix or small bags of cereal. She's cute and I'd keep that on me just for her.
"Thanks for putting up with me."
"I put up with everyone's bullshit just never as much as I'll do to you." It came out more as an insult than just a regular complaint.
"Great I'm just a burden" I hear her say into her hand.
"Far from a burden," I correct.
Riley goes into some annoying details about Joey. Something I wish I couldn't agree on but no matter how much anyone tried to deny it he had a lot of flaws. Not that it was unacceptable but they get in the way of the important stuff. I'd say he was pretty confident but at the worse times he lose all that confidence and becomes a nine year old. Cough cough during lunch. Like screaming at Riley was the right card to play.
"What base are you and Lauren on?"
It takes me a few seconds to put together what she asked. "Second" I answer.
"Great then we're all on the same base. We have to advance together."
Riley tries to seem serious but only ends up laughing. That laughing turns into sobbing. I didn't want Riley to be alone but I wished Joey could cut the daddy shit and see her the way she is. This was all an excuse to get away from Lauren. I think I loved her. I'm not sure. I never said it. But I don't say it to anyone so there is no difference.
"Are you going to stop?"
She shrugs. "Maybe. I don't know. As long as none of you come at me like that again. Well just Lauren and Joey you have experience with these conversations."
I smile grateful. I don't gave experience with these conversations. It's just the Internet is a blessing. This only seems like the logical way to approach her as well.
"Lauren has the lucky guy. Don't think she's all rainbows and unicorns."
I snort, "I'm very aware she's not rainbows and unicorns. I'm also aware that everyone in this little group has some serious problems that can't be dealt with alone."
Riley makes air plane noises. "But coming to the rescue is super therapist Matthew."
I roll my eyes. The last thing I ever wanted to be was a therapist. To live my life and put up with people's shit and to work at a job to deal with unstable people. Nope. Not my cup of tea. There's only so much I would take and that was up until Riley.
"Should I apologize?"
"For not letting us help you out then yes."
She exhales. "Stop answering so honestly."
"I don't get anyone in this friendship. You tell us your problems but don't want our help. I literally don't understand why everyone is like this."
"Sounds like someone is getting angry at me" she half mutters into her hand.
Honestly this friendship pisses me off. Rambles on and on about their problems then doesn't want help. I'm always confused and I swear it's because of these things. I let Riley lean on me. Who am I to say no to her? I am no one. That's just it. And that's why I can't say no to her.
Riley goes into rambling about self-loathing. I never really heard much on it so I don't comment much. I think she rambles off to me because I won't always give a response unless necessary.
"Riley do you speak to your dad about the things your sisters make you feel?"
She rolls her eyes and smiles. "Why would I? Most of it is true anyway."
I rub my temples and put my head down. I can't do anything about someone stuck in their ways. I can at least try and hope to listen to me.
"Sorry you have to put up with me." She rests her hand on my shoulder.
"It's fine."
She just sounds hopeless. I'm hopelessly whipped for investing so much time into her. I could barely treat Lauren this way. The bastard I had become.
"If I ever make you feel miserable I'm okay with you stop talking to me" Riley confesses.
"I have other reasons to be miserable and you'll be excluded from them."
For starters I was over fucking weight. I seem to want to destroy the relationship my friend has with his girlfriend. I'm literally a deadly sin. I suffer just by the simple fact of envying one too many people. I have good reasons to be miserable. Let's not forget the lack of communication with my family. Sometimes we'll speak when my brother is over that's rare. He hates it here. I'm more sure than anything that even if my sibling came home we still wouldn't bond.
Riley asks me in the middle of my thinking,"What's your family like?"
"Assholes. We all just look out for ourselves. It's rare for us to be a team."
I think some of us could relate. Riley insist to stay out my house. Though that be the first place Joey would check for her I wouldn't say no. I'm starting to forget what no means. Mom is folded up wrapped in a blanket on the couch reading.
"Matt. He's home" she tells me with her head still buried into her book.
I stop in my tracks.