Dark Divide-Chapter One

Alright so I had not been planing on starting another story. However, it has been a while since I have written anything like this, and I got this great idea earlier today. I just couldn't help myself. I had to write it. So here is the first chapter. I hope you enjoy!

The wind was brutally cold as I stepped out into the October air. I pulled my jacket closer to me and huddled into it. Ducking my head, I walked onto the street. In this sweet little town, when it's cold like this no one is out and about. I walked as quickly as I could down to the street and left onto the main street. In Shadow Falls there is one main road where everything is located: the grocery store, the pharmacy, and the general store. Don't expect anything too fancy here. In this good little old town, everything is simple.

I hate it.

I have everything about this place. It's too small and there is nothing and I mean nothing to do here. We don't even have a movie theater. We are lucky we even have that crappy dial up that they call internet. This place is terrible. I shuttered as the wind struck again and I picked up my pace even more. I couldn't help but be slightly annoyed that my mom had asked me to go to the store.

I mean, she had a car! She could have stayed warm! But no, not only did she request that I go, but... she also refused to let me take the car! It just wasn't fair and I said so, but her only response was 'it's not my fault you don't have a car'. Then she walked away. It's not my fault I don't have a car either. It's not my fault Granny Sue didn't stop at the single red light in town. Causing my mother to lose the front bumper to her new car. I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.

Oh no. Now I wasn't allowed to have a car until I was eighteen and I'm not allowed to drive theirs either. It's just not fair! I shook my head to clear the thoughts. It was later then I had thought and the darkness was slowly starting to creep in.

Thank God. I only live five minutes away. I thought.

The general store was located in the middle of main street. Right beside the bar and the sheriff's office. I snorted. We are just like a town out of a crappy western. Just slightly more modern, but only slightly. We have indoor pluming. I can't wait to get away from this place. Two more months to go. Then I'll be eighteen and as far away from this place as possible.

The air around me shifted and I was hit with a sudden burst of cold. The hairs stood raised on the back of my neck. I froze looking around. There was no one else on the street but me. Nevertheless, I couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching me. I scanned the area around me one last time before I bolted across the street and into the store.

"Young Caroline! What a surprise!" Mr. Ted the shopkeeper said, clapping his hands together. He was completely oblivious to me leaning against the door, panting. "I'm so glad you're here!" Mr. Ted was an short older man, with receding white hair and a wide smile.

"Good Day Mr. Ted. How are you?" I asked politely. I liked Mr. Ted, he was a wonderfully sweet man. I just could not shake the feeling that being watched. My hands were shaking with nerves.

"Well." He drawled. "My back has been acting up again, and I threw my elbow out trying to lift up that sack of flower over there." He pointed to a brown sack laying in the middle of the floor. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I opened up a can of worms asking him any sort of question. He could talk for days.

"Mrs. Betty is having a rough time with it as well. Her hands are acting up. Giving her trouble when she bakes or sews. Arthritis, you see." He shook his head and made an odd sound from the back of his throat. "Such a terrible shame. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm."