Chapter 5: "I'll Always Be Here"

Your POV

The entire week seemed to disappear when I was with Zane.

I had a lot less to worry about. I had finally made a friend that I could confide in.

Actually, he's a pretty nice person.

In the mornings we exchanged songs and listened to each other's music like loners at the back of the bus.
(I found a couple new favorite songs and so did he)

In the classroom we help each other with homework and class work, dazzling the teacher with our profound skills. You could say we were top of the class.

At lunch, we sat under the second floor stairs and talked about our favorite shows and hobbies. (I figured out he hated sports)

And after school we rode the bus again, parting ways at different stops. (My house was a street up from his)

I felt like my life was finally going my way.

But that's when I realized I messed up.

I was going over to his house tomorrow.

My mind froze as I unlocked my house door. It was Friday. The week had left me faster than my faith in humanity. My heart started racing for Irene knows why.

I opened the door, sprinted to my room and shut myself inside it. I created a mass of blankets and pillows, dragging my pet, a laptop, a warm drink, and what was left of my sanity before I tried to calm down.

I was going to a boys house

Alone.

It SHOULD be fine, right? I mean, his mom will be there. I don't think Zane is the type of person to even attempt to do anything with me. We're just working on a project about Saturn and my miserable life.

And how it was taking a Sa-turn for the worst.

Stop it Y/n

I breathed in slowly, chugging down the tea (scalding myself in the process), and curling up into a ball of sadness and worry.

My phone vibrated in my back pocket, scaring the living shit out of me.

"Oh what now?!"

I opened the phone.

It was from Zane.

"Oh, right. I gave him my phone number earlier today."

I made his contact name "T-Zizzle" and answered the text.

Z: Hey! What's up?
Y: Kind of having an existential crisis
Z: A what?
Y: When you worry about your life and it's direction and you curl up in a pit of shame and cry
Z: What? No! Don't do that! You were so happy earlier. What's wrong?

I couldn't lie to him

Y: I got kinda scared of coming over to your house...
Z: Why? I thought we put the past behind us.
Y: No! Not that.. I'm just nervous. What will your parents think, what will your brothers think?! What will my parents think... I told them it was just a project, but they may think differently if I told them
Z: Told them what?
Y: That you're a boy.

I set down my phone and attempted to drown myself in my boiling cup of tea, to ultimately fail as the phone started to ring.