Nick's coming over... Uh oh. - chapter 44

I went home at around 5. While I was over their house, Rowan asked me if Nick and him could come over my house.

I hesitated. "Well," I scratched my head. "I guess you could. I mean, Dallas ain't gonna be here, so Nick can't get hurt. I don't see why not."

Rowan hugged me, so very excited. I giggled, prying him off of me. I told him to come over at 8.

As I began walking out the door, I heard Rowan telling Nick that they were coming over my house later. As I made my way to the sidewalk, I heard Nick squeal because the window was opened. I walked away, chuckling.

I got home and sat on the couch next to Sodapop. He put his arm around me. "So, what happened with Nicholas?"

I didn't look him in the eye. "Nothin'."

He smirked. "What? Are ya cheatin' on ol' Dal?" HeHe nudged my elbo.

I rolled my eyes. "No! Why would I do that. Rowan just wanted me to talk to him. We're friends and he feels real bad 'bout what he did. I I was even thinking that Dal and him might start gettin' along."

"Ya think?" Soda said, doubtfully.

Then, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see Dally. He wasn't supposed to be back yet. He sat down next to me, putting his arm around me. He said, "I doubt it." He kissed me on the cheek.

"Dal." I said. "Nick's real sorry. He really is. And he wants the three of us to be friends. Could ya at least try?"

Dally rolled his eyes, grinning. "Sure. Whatever."

I grabbed Dally's hand and walked him outside. When we were there, I began, "He was crying, Dallas... Because of me... We were best friends and I hurt him." my voice cracking.

He let me cry on him saying, "It's okay, Ashley. It wasn't your fault. It was mine. And to make it up to you,... I'll play nice with your friend, okay?"

I looked up at him, my eyes still watering. "Ya sure, 'cause Rowan begged me to let the 2 of 'em come over."

Dally hesitated. Then, smiled. "Sure, Ash. What kinda guyfriend would I be if I didn't?"

We went back inside and watched TV. I could tell that he wasn't excited about Nick coming, but he kept his mouth shut.

He has a heart of pure gold.