"I'm sorry sis." ~Darry(should I forgive him) - chapter 17

As Dallas ran down the street, Darry walked into my room. I pretended to ignore him. I pretended I was def and couldn't hear him.

"Hey, Ashley... H-How are ya?"

He scratched the back of his head, seaming embarrassed, but why?

I glared at him, fire in my eyes, burning a hole in my brothers sole. "What's it ta you?" I said in a low, ominous voice.

"Listen," he said, "I-I'm sorry... I-I just... I don't really trust Dally... A-And I didn't want him to hurt you... I-I've seen how he treats gals like you-"

"What?!" I said, "And just cause I'm a girl, that means I can't stick up for myself?! I need my big brother to fight every war FOR me?!!! IS THAT IT?!!!!!!!!..." I started crying. Darry tried to comfort me, but I pulled away from him. "Is that it?... You think I'm weak?" I said in a soft, weak, I'll admit it, voice.

He lifted my chin, forcing me to look him in the eye.

"I never said that..." he said, smiling at me. Then Soda walked in. He stood in the door way, again. He was smoking a cigarette. He only smokes when he's really upset about something or he he wants to look tuff. And he doesn't have to try to look tuff in front of us. We already know he's tuff.

I started toward Sodapop, ready to pull the cigarette out of his mouth, but Darry read my mind. He grabbed the cigarette, throwing it on the floor and putting it out with his foot. Then, he grabbed me and Sodapop in a big hug.

"I love ya,... little buddies." Darry pleaded, on the verge of tears, for the first time since... Ever.

"Hey!" screamed a voice behind Soda. Sodapop moved, revealing an enraged Ponyboy. He had his hands on his hips. "What about me?!"

"You, too, little buddy." Darry said, ruffling Ponyboy's hair and pulling him into the group hug. It felt good, but I was still upset with Darry... He hit Dally,... Nonstop... Not caring. I don't know if I can ever forgive him.

After 20 minutes of hugging, Darry let go and turned toward me. "I'm sorry, sis." he said, "Can ya ever forgive me?" He had a few tears still not dry, on his cheeks. I was afraid that if I said no, he would start crying, again,... Or worse. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. He looked at me, sadder than before. "I-I..." I managed to say. Darry looked down, upset. I couldn't help but smile, smirk even. "Of course I do..." I looked at me, relieved, "You're my brother... I'm your sister..." I nearly giggled. "I have to forgive you."

I hugged my old brother, and he gave a huge sigh of relief. Ponyboy and Sodapop left the room and went to bed. I didn't let go of Darry until half an hour later. When we finally let go, he kissed me on the forehead and we went to bed. I could tell that Darry still didn't want me to see Dally, but... That was tomorrow's issue... Or so I thought. Then, I had another nightmare.