Chapter 5 : Alone.

Alex's POV:

Ok. Ok. She's ok, Fey has to be ok.
Fey wouldn't leave the apartment, she has no reason to. There's food, TV, a bed that's heaven for her!

I pull into the parking lot, nearly hitting three businessmen. I need her to be here, nowhere else. Please.

I jump up along this never-ending nightmare of a staircase. I pull at the phone in my pocket, it's having a fit. Who could be texting me this much right now? A widespread pain shoots through my knee. The world seems to slow as I fall to the floor, this violent pain spreads to my stomach as I crash onto the stairs. Fey was right I was going to trip up one day and, the day I didn't need to most, I did.

I feel blood rush to my ears, making the world go silent for a moment. Then a voice spills into my head.
"For carpeted stairs, these sure are painful huh, Alex?"

'You're better than this Alex.'
My eyes were closed tightly and my teeth gritted together as I felt hands shove at my shoulders. I plummeted further down the stairs. Through the pain, I manage to sit up.
'Get up Alex.'

That familiar voice, it couldn't be, it sounded so bitter and hateful. My heavy eyelids attempt to rise. My head feels as though it has been put in a blender.

"T-tom?" I find that blonde towering above me, I try to smile a little through the pain. "H-help me u-up? Please."

I can't raise my arms, I feel a perpetual feeling of pins and needles throughout my nerves. I try to move my arm the slightest bit toward him. Why hasn't he helped me up yet? He didn't even shift awkwardly like usual.

"Tom?" I feel a thin finger press underneath my chin. My eyes meet the sight of the blonde. Something was off.
Tom's eyes are completely bloodshot. The flesh underneath his eyes at red and puffy. This reminds me of Fey every anniversary of her mom's death. Someone hurt Tom, and he is not stable right now.

"Tom, h-hun, w-what happened to you?"

He let out a low chuckle, it was deep and unnerving. "W-what happened to you?" Tom's voice was full of mockery and bitterness. His laugh was laced with malice. His fingers latch onto my arm, the numbing sensation dissipated and that severed tie was replaced with more pain. I became as light as a feather as I flew hard up against a wall. Fumbling a bit I manage to keep myself from falling once more.

"Ya know Alex. I just need you to answer just two questions, just two, sweetie." I feel gentle fingers glide up my sides and the hair on my neck stand up at the putrid stench of alcohol. I shove him back hard against the banister. The only sound that floods my mind is that dark laugh. "Now now, play nice Alex. Question one, what does that girl mean to you?"

Those words sent a disgusting taste to the back of my throat. Those words sent a sea of uncertainty to crash down onto me.
"What girl, Tom?"

That sadistic smile fades and the last curtain was raised. Tom was no longer held together, his seams were torn and he was dripping with emotion. Raw unfiltered emotions, the worst emotions to experience when you're angry. Absolutely nothing to hold him back.

I swear under my breath when those delicate green eyes dilate and narrow with the look of a rabid animal. I hear a thick growl erupt from his throat.

"Alex, not the time." I need to get away, this is a waste of time, Fey could be hurt.

'Hit em hard Alex.' Despite the dominant pain across my chest and along my fingers, I was about to bite my tongue and follow suit with my brother's advice.

"Fey." My voice was not much of a statement. More of a pleading, a demand for help or her. She would be better to have at the moment. "She means more to me than you. Walk away Tom."