#19 The Sara Di Wedding Special

Start from the beginning

"I love it Dadi! This is so gorgeous! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I exclaimed and threw my arms around her.

Dadi patted me affectionately.

"You're welcome beta."

"I was wondering what I should wear for the mehendi and you just solved my problem! I love you Dadi!" I squealed.

"I love you too Junaina. Now go and finish packing before your Mom returns."

I was so happy, I kept stopping on my way upstairs to show the dress off to whomever I could. Everyone agreed that it was beautiful. Apparently Di and Samar already knew because they had gotten the dress. Di smiled at my childlike behavior and pushed me to go back to packing my bags.

When I was finally done with everything, I felt a bit sad. While Dar-e-Rahma is my house too, Ashiana is home. There's a difference. And I'd miss my family here like crazy even if I'm only going for a few days. I had thought of asking Mom if I could stay here until Friday and just get down at Dar-e-Rahma after school. So I discussed it with Samir and Di they said Mom would be disappointed if I didn't go. I had to agree.

Dar-e-Rahma was filled with people. Nani's family members had come and so had Arifa Mami's. My Khala Rumaisa and her husband and kids; Adam, Amra and Ashar had also come down from their home in Hyderabad. It was a full house and the only place with some peace was Nana's study. I often ended up spending time with him over there, especially if I had to do my school work.

Every day people kept visiting and there were also workers teeming around the house putting up decorations and last minute repairs and whatnot. Every room was occupied. Sara Di was always blushing so much, it was like her face had permanently become red.

And who knew where the time flew by, it was already the day of the mehendi function and I was nowhere near ready. People were lined up outside the bathrooms and some were changing in the rooms not caring about the other people present. I couldn't possibly dress in such a hectic situation. Besides Sara Di had asked me to help her with her makeup.

So Sana and Safa left me with her after helping her dress and doing her hair in an intricate braid. I helped her put on her jewelry. Her peach lehenga looked lovely with the ruby necklace and matching earrings. She wore no bangles or rings as she would be getting her hand filled with mehendi.

"Juni, please make it fast sweetie, I can hear all the people outside." Sara Di said as I finished her base makeup.

I stopped and put away the brushes. She looked bewildered.

"Okie Sara Di. Just breathe. Inhale and exhale, no one's going to say anything and people won't mind waiting a bit more. I want you to look perfect. Okie?" I asked, leaving no room for dissent.

She nodded and did as I asked her to. After she was relaxed, I continued with the rest of her makeup. Once I was done and let her look at the mirror, she was very happy. She looked like a dainty little fairy, with that glow of happiness radiating from her face.

"Barak Allahu Feeki, you look beautiful!" I gushed and she smiled, squeezing my hand.

When Sana and Safa came to get her, I sent her off quickly and locked the door behind them. Sighing in relief, I slumped down and took a breather. It had been such a busy day and I probably looked like a huge mess with my crinkled clothes and even messier hair.

In no time I was rushing through my own bath and then pulling on the dress Dadi gifted me quickly. Drying my hair, I pulled it into a side braid and added big golden jhumkas to accessorize the dress. I kept my makeup simple to save time and after giving myself a final once-over and sending Di a picture to show Dadi, I left to join the function in the courtyard.