Are You Sure?

Rewritten is now published! It's better for me as a writer to create something I love then drag on with something I don't.

The Rewritten will
-have similar plot
-same characters
-have smoother transition
-overall better, just saying

It would mean a lot if you would check it out

Love,
Allie

Are You Sure?

It felt like everything was in slow motion. My feet had suddenly felt heavy and my palms were sweating. I sat across from my mother, staring right into her eyes.

"Dad is not here." I bluntly said.

"Oh okay." She looked disappointed and pursed her lips.

"He didn't want to read your letter so I did."

"I figured he would do something like that." There was a small smile on her lips. "Do you want to order first before I tell you?"

"No." She was stalling. All I wanted to do at that moment was get out of the stupid café.

"Wait why aren't you at school?"

I stared at her.

"Alright." Mom took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

What?

"It's not your father's." Tears started to stream down her face making her mascara run, painting a watery line down her face. "I wish the baby was. Gene kicked me out when he heard. He said he wasn't ready for children and wasn't looking for commitment." She laughed at herself.

My heart was pounding in my ears. There was an empty feeling in my chest and ny throat turned dry.

"Two months." Mom wiped her eyes with the backside of her trembling hand. "I'm actually glad you came instead of your dad; he would probably leave me again like Gene."

"Dad didn't leave you; you left him." I snapped. I had felt the sudden need to defend my dad, he had done more than Mom could ever do.

"I made a mistake and I'm sorry for it!"

"You made a huge mistake and left your family for a man who dumped you and your bastard child on the streets!" My voice was in a raised whisper. The café was full and gossip flew around town.

"I just need support. Please Jayne."

I almost gave in. Almost.

"No. I don't trust you. Talk to your husband." I walked away from her with my hands trembling. I just left my pregnant mother alone with no one to lean on. Stepping out of the café door, I almost turned back.

She was still family.

Family sticks together.

So why was I leaving her?

Revenge?

It wouldn't make me better than her in any way.

I turned around. She was staring at the table, on the same position when I left, black tears drying on her cheeks.

"You can come back home." I didn't dare look her in the eyes. Part of me wanted to turn around and never look back, the other part yearned for my mother. If I said I didn't miss her, I'd be lying.

"What will your father say?"

"He won't know." Let's hope it stays that way for a while.

She nodded and quickly stood up, fumbling in her pockets for her car keys. A car that my father bought her.