Aim Fire!

Phillip sat at the breakfast table with his mother, Eliza. As he was eating he was looking through the newspaper. He flipped through the news. Suddenly he stopped at the bold words highlighted above a story.

George Eaker disparages Alexander Hamilton.

Phillip gasped at the words. Eliza walked over to him grabbing his plate.

"You okay dear?" She patted Phillip on the shoulder.

"Ya I'm uh--- fine" he said rereading over the title again. He stood up and looked at his mother. He folded the paper and put it in his pocket.

"Mother, may we skipped today's lesson on piano? I have something I need to take care of.." He folded his hands together. He had never wanted to keep a secret to his mother and he never had but he knew he wouldn't tell her.

"Sure." She said calmly. She had always been calm with him even if she was angry at his father.

He nodded and walked to the front door.

"I'll be back.." He yelled out to his mother and shut the door. He ran downtown and saw a few of his friends.

"Guys! You gotta help me, George Eaker disparaged my father in front of the crowd! I can't have that I'm making my father proud." He nodded.

"Well I just saw him up Broadway a few blocks. I heard he was going to go see a Play." One of his friends answered.

"Alright well all go see if he's at the theatre. Thanks guys!" He waved and started going downtown to the theatre.

As Phillip walked into the theatre the show already started.

"Damnit now I have to talk to him while the show is going on oh boy.." He rolled his eyes and shook his sweaty hands. He was nervous and wasn't happy with what George had said about his father. Phillip then found where the young man was sitting he ran over to the seat next to him.

"George! Why did you talk about my father like that?" He tried whispering but a came out a little too loudly.

"Shush!" He whispered. Philip sighed and growled under his breathe.

"What was the reason for that?!" He whispered in his ear.

"Well your fathers a scoundrel, and so, it seems are you.."

Phillip gasped at his words.

"It's like that!?!??"

"Listen kid, I didn't say anything that wasn't true, I'm not your little schoolboy friends.."

Phillip stood up angrily and shook his head.

"Well I'll see you on the dueling ground unless you want to step outside and go now!" He yelled. His voiced echoed through the theatre.

"Phil, I know where to find out so go, I'm watching this show now.." He finished abc George continued watching the show. Phillip stomped out of the theatre and ran home. Once he came home his father was in the kitchen at the table.

"Well hello Phillip! How are yo--" Phillip cut off his father once he slammed the door.

"Pops if you only heard the shit he said about you, I doubt you would've let it slide and I wasn't about to--" once Hamilton heard his sons words and anger he stood up and shushed his son. He didn't want Eliza to hear their conversation.

"Slow down son!" Hamilton said patting his sons back.

"Father, I came to ask you for advice this is my first duel, they don't exactly cover this subject in boarding school.." Phillip sighed and paced around the kitchen table.

"Did Eaker attempt to negotiate a peace?" Hamilton asked and put his hands on the table.

"He refused to apologize, we had to let the peace talk cease."

"Son where is this happening?" Hamilton asked his son. Phillip took a deep breathe.

"Across the river, in jersey.." Phillip answered after a few seconds.

Hamilton shook his head.

He then mumbled to himself, "everything is legal in New Jersey.."   

"Alright here's what your gonna do, stand there like a mm until Eaker is in front of you, when the time comes fire your weapon in the air, this will put an end to the whole affair.." Hamilton responded to his son. He then took out his gun and handed it to him.

"But what if he decides to shoot? Then I'm a goner?" Phillip touched the gun ever so carefully.

"No, he'll follow suit if he's truly a man of honor, to take someone's life that is something you can't shake.. Philip your mother can't take another heartbreak.." Hamilton gulped at the last words he said.

"Bu--t but father.." Phillip said.

Hamilton shushed him. "Phil, take my guns, be safe, be smart, make me proud.." He smiled and patted him on the back once again. Phillip grabbed the gun and put it into his pocket. He nodded and walked out of the house.

Once he arrived where the Duel was taking place he sighed. He walked over to Eaker and shook his hand.

"How was the rest of your show Mr Eaker?" He asked.

"I rather skip the pleasantries lets go.." George rolled his eyes and gave him a shove.

"Men grab your pistols! The Duel will commence after we count to ten!" The doctor said. Phillip nodded.

As Phillip raised his gun to the sky he counted to himself.

"1234567---" then he heard a gunshot. Eaker had already started. He gasped for air and gripped his stomach. He fell to the ground.

Once Phillip felt the pain in his ribs his head then rewind. So much had happened the past years. The affair his father had. It was unimaginable. But then one memory fluttered back into his brain.

Learning piano with his mother. He remembered learning the numbers in French. He then remembered the last words his father said to him.

Phillip your mother can't take another heartbreak...

Once he fell to the ground his mind went blank after remembering his past. As he closed his eyes he hummed the numbers in French.

Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit Neuf.

-------------------------

Hope you enjoyed this one shot. It made me a little teary eyed when I was typing this. But anyway hope you enjoyed! Message me if you have any requests!! 💕