prologue - part 1

"mama, where are we going?" i asked as i looked out the car window, all i could see was just buildings; large apartments and skyscrapers. "we're going to meet uncle jeremy" she replied quietly.

uncle jeremy wasn't really our uncle, he was my daddys best friend in college and then his co-worker at work. our families are really close so we call them 'uncle' and 'aunt'.

"are we there yet?" i asked eagerly, uncle jeremy told me that he had a son around my age, his son is 9 and i am 8. uncle jeremy says i'll probably like him.

"we only have a few minutes, jamie" daddy answered, we sat quietly in the car as daddy drove the car until my baby brother steve started crying.

"shush stevie..." mama cooed at him, "jamie could you put stevie's pacifier in his mouth?" mama asked me as she sat in the front seat and i was closer to steve.

i nodded happily as i took the pacifier from my mamas hands and put it gently into steves mouth. he started sucking on it and i wiped the tears off his soft cheeks.

"we're here" daddy announced as we parked, we stood in front of a mansion, it was the color of cream with a gold colored roof and it was at least three stories high with a pool and a horse stable.

"wow" i said as i looked around at my surroundings. daddy exited the car and opened the door for me to head out. mama took steve and we started walking to the huge house.

"this is huge" i commented as we stopped at the door, daddy stepped forward to knock loudly on the door, he knocked three times and took a step back, the door opened to reveal aunt pattie.

"hello andrew, tina, jamie and steve!" she exclaimed as she hugged my mama and cooed over steve, uncle jeremy came over and gave my dad a handshake, then he came to me and ruffled my hair.

"justin is upstairs, why don't you go surprise him?" he whispered in my ear and i nodded. he took me inside the house and led to me the stairs. i climbed up excitedly as uncle jeremy waited downstairs.

i headed towards the hallway looking for justin's room, i finally found a room with a sign on it; 'justin's man cave' has written in messy handwriting.

i headed inside the find the room dark, i took a step and the door slammed behind me, my heart started racing. i was quite scared of the dark, after all i'm only eight!

"who's there?" a male voice asked. it was obvious that the boys voice was around my age. but it was a cute voice. "um.. i'm jamie" i replied nervously as i wandered around in endless voids of darkness.

"jamie...? how about we play some hide and seek?" he asked and i looked around some more. the window covers were shut and nothing was visible.

it felt like i was closing my eyes and walking into nowhere... does he not have anything in his bedroom? i am sure i would have bumped into a wardrobe or a bed with my clumsiness.

"alright" i replied. "i hide. you seek" he explained. i had a feeling that i shouldn't really argue with him. though i doubt he wouldn't change it if i asked him to.

"could you lead me to you?" i asked him and he laughed. "how could i? i cannot see a thing and plus, this way is more fun" he said and i huffed.