31 - "Eighteen isn't some kind of magic number."

Start from the beginning

"High teens or low twenties, but it can rain, too. You're gonna love it, Bella," he assured me.  

I laughed. "I know I'll love it. I've been before, remember?" 

"Yes, but you never had me as a tour guide," he reminded me suggestively.  

I smirked. "Well I expect to see lots of things that I've never seen before." 

"That can be arranged..."

I rolled my eyes. "I meant in Rome!" 

"So did I." 

Shaking my head to myself, I smiled. "I really am so excited, though. It's nice to have something to look forward to over the next few weeks." 

"Have you told Jess?" he then asked.  

"No. I wanted to tell you first." 

"I bet she's never been abroad with Alex," he said with purpose, as if proud of this fact. His competitive streak obviously stretched to relationships, too.  

"They've been to Wales." 

He snorted. "That doesn't count!" 

I laughed. "I guess not, but it's still nice there." 

"Look, Bella, if you'd rather go to Wales instead of Italy then just let me know. It can easily be arranged." 

"No thanks," I said. "I'll stick with Italy." 

"I thought you might say that..." 

-  

The next few weeks were hectic. I was trying especially hard to keep on top of my work so that it would all be done by the time I went to Rome, and Nathan didn't seem to share my urgency. 

"Packed a bikini?" Nathan asked as he lounged on my bed, his eyes closed lazily.  

"A bikini?" I frowned, turning from my wardrobe to face him. "Why would I need a bikini? It's not gonna be hot enough to swim." 

"You never know. Come on. How much room is it really gonna take up?" 

I rolled my eyes. It was true but I really couldn't see myself getting much use out of a bikini in April. Rome wasn't even that close to the coast. Nevertheless, I retrieved it from the back of my wardrobe and shoved it down the inside pocket of the suitcase.  

"Just chill, Bella." Nathan yawned. "Stop stressing." 

I sighed. "I don't want to forget anything." 

"You've still got a couple of days." 

"That's the sort of attitude that will cause me to forget something—last minute packing." 

"As long as you don't forget your passport, anything you do forget is easily replaceable once we're out there," he told me.  

"I'd still rather make sure..." I murmured, knowing I'd kick myself if I realised part way through the week that I'd forgotten to pack something obvious and essential.  

"Come over here and keep me company." 

"How about you come over here?" I suggested. "That way I can keep you company and you can help me pack." 

He got up from the bed and I smiled in victory. As he reached me, however, he bent down and swept me into his arms, gently tossing me onto the bed. I sunk into the comfortable mattress, bouncing slightly. Nathan climbed on next to me and leisurely draped one of his legs over mine, effectively pinning me there.