2 - "Can I buy you a drink?"

Chapter 2 - "Can I buy you a drink?"

I was standing in front of my mirror, delicately applying mascara, when my phone buzzed. I looked down and saw Matt's name flashing on the screen. Immediately my heart sank. Nevertheless, I put down my mascara brush and opened it, trying to remain positive. Unfortunately, my instincts were correct.

-Hey I'm really sorry but can't do this afternoon anymore. Sorry xxx

I felt like throwing my phone across the room in a mixture of frustration, disappointment and sadness. Why did he always cancel at the last minute? Part of me felt like I should ignore the text and leave him waiting for a reply. I waited around for him enough. He deserved to do some waiting of his own. But I couldn't; I needed to know when I could next see him. So I typed out a reply.

-Well when can you do then?

It took a while for him to reply, which annoyed me even more, and I should have guessed what he was going to say anyway really.

-Tomorrow? Xxx

Tomorrow. Tomorrow was when I was supposed to be playing tennis against Sam. I actually had no intention of playing tennis tomorrow, but Matt obviously believed that by suggesting that I come over, I'd cancel on Sam. If he wanted to believe that then fine. At least he'd be less likely to cancel on me again.

I sent him a text saying that I could do tomorrow, and then I rang Kat. She answered almost immediately.

"Hey, I know I'm the world's worst friend," I began. "But are you still free tonight?"

"Of course. What happened with Matt?"

"What do you think?" I asked bitterly. "He cancelled on me. Can I rant at you tonight? Over drinks?"

"I'm not old enough, Izzy. That's just cruel."

"I'll buy you one."

"Criminal..." she sang playfully down the phone.

Being underage had never deterred Kat from drinking in the past, but she knew better than to expect to get served in a bar, especially when staff were so strict on IDs these days.

"Please, Kat? Or you could come round here? I'll get a bottle of vodka..."

"Are you that upset?"

"I'm not upset. I'm just fed up. And you always cheer me up. Besides, I feel like getting drunk. Matt's always out getting drunk, so why can't I do it once in a while?"

"Maybe because he once told you that you shouldn't do it in case someone takes advantage of you? And then you felt bad. And then you stopped drinking. And then you stopped going out in general. And then—"

"Okay," I snapped, to cut her off. "I get your point. So are you coming out or what?"

"Do you actually want my company? Or are you just trying to defy Matt?"

"Yes, I'm trying to defy Matt. But I want your company to do it. Doesn't that count for something?"

"Why don't you invite Sam?" Kat asked in a teasing tone.

I sighed. "Please, don't. Not you as well. Matt has already given me the third degree on him."

"God, Izzy, he is such a dick. I don't know why you put up with him. And don't start with the whole because I love him story, because we both know you don't—"

"Can we discuss this tonight?" I interrupted. "Eight o'clock? The bar?"

"Sure. I plan to actually talk some sense into you this time."