Chapter One

Chapter One 

Have you ever had the moment of realization that you absolutely didn’t belong somewhere?

I looked around, the familiar sweep of my long hair against my neck gone as it was pulled up into a sock bun. I was uncomfortable in the tight gold dress with a million little embellishments plastered all over it, but I wore it for him. My fiancé, Cole. The man who, currently, was blabbing his mouth about something that ruled his world since his birth. Politics. I was tuned out, looking around the room. 

We were at a party, one for the fancy people that I had no business being around. I was uncomfortable because I didn’t belong, watching as women with scowls on their faces were led my their dapper, stuck-up husbands around the room, patrolling the area for a good controversial topic. Fine china littered the tables with expensive white cloths draped over them, men in white tux’s skirting around the crowd with trays of De Blanc. I felt the corners of my mouth tip down into a frown, my mood stooping lower and lower. 

I felt a sharp pain my elbow, and I was pivoted around to face my seething fiance. His blue eyes were cold and hard, something I’d noticed over the past few months. His pearly whites gleamed as he gave me a sneer, some of his gelled black hair falling in his eyes. “Would it hurt you to actually pay attention once in a while. Wipe that terrible little scowl off your face and look like you’re happy to be here.” He spat, nearly foaming by his mouth. Though I was used to the blow-ups, I still gave a gasp of surprise and felt the tears prick my eyes. I snatched my arm back, mumbling something about going to the rest room. 

I made my way out of the giant room, walking into another grand room-the hallway. I darted past the new-comers and into the bathroom, shutting myself inside. This place would easily fit ten of my little flats, and I was overwhelmed. I wanted to go home, and I wanted to get away. Cole and I were over, I could pretty much tell you that, but I just didn’t know how to tell him. 

I looked in the giant mirror and wiped away the one tear that managed its way out. I wouldn’t cry, not over this. I was building up my courage to storm out and tell him just exactly how I felt when there was a banging on the door. I took a deep breath and made my way over, opening it. An angry old woman was on the other side, and she sneered at me before pushing past. Shaking my head, I walked back into the other room. 

I was shocked at the first thing I saw. Cole was towering over a giggling blonde, her long, model-esque body scantily clad in a red number. I scoffed, feeling my blood start to boil. How dare he cheat on me, and I was in the other room! 

I composed myself, holding my chin up and making my way over to them. “You aren’t working the street corner tonight?” I said hotly, narrowing my eyes at the girl. I really didn’t care-she could have him after two minutes, but this was just blatant disrespect. Her mouth dropped open, and I clenched my fists by my sides. Cole’s face contorted into shock, then anger. He grabbed me by my upper arm, and I let out a sound of protest. “Sorry about this.” He said to the girl, flashing her a flirtatious smile. 

He hauled me out the back doors, pushing me forward. My sight was obscured, as it was dark and I was now staring at gravel a foot below my face. I felt the pain in my hands and knees, but I could only focus on it for a second before I was dragged up again. “Get. Off. Me!” I shouted, struggling to break free. “Oh, no, bitch. I’m not done with you yet.” He said, and I spat in his face, scared to death. He gave me an incredulous look, and then there was a stinging pain in the side of my face. I fell to the ground, holding my cheek as the tears sprang to my eyes. Then I heard a grunt of protest, so I turned my head to look. 

I saw a boy with a head full of nearly-tamed curls on top of Cole, punching him ruthlessly. I could see the rippling muscles beneath the white t-shirt of this man’s shirt, pulled taunt as he straddled Cole and raised his fist to throw another punch. Cole shouted out as it made contact with his face, and a few more were added. I stood helplessly to the side, too terrified and captivated to do anything but stare.