Chapter One

It was that day of the year again. The very day that marked the end of summer vacation as the school bells tolled once again. It had been dreadfully hot this summer, leaving little days to be enjoyed. This day was no exception, even though, as Emma Swan would have thought it to be, the end of summer. On the contrary, there were still a few days to be milked out of summer even though school would interlock with them.

But still, this day would be the end of the late nights playing video games with her friend, Graham. The two wanted to spend time with each other over the summer since he would be moving to Boston for college. It would also end the nights out with Ruby, and sometimes Belle, as they went about town, sneaking into various parties held by some of the recently graduated seniors. Her friend Ruby, being one of them, threw her own party for herself and Graham.

Although, now, all of that was over. Emma couldn't sleep in until noon every day. Instead, she had to wake up in the early morning, a time she sometimes went to bed after playing a marathon of her favorite games.

The morning hour of seven o'clock caused the blonde teen to groan as she hit the dismiss button on her phone.

School.

Emma took the liberty to dub Storybrooke High as Hell. Most of the students there were too chipper, nice, snobby, or rude. They were opposite Emma, who liked it quiet so she could read and do work in peace. She steered clear of them, usually, but in her classes, there was always at least one that would have to be sat next to her, and, that would ultimately ruin her entire year. Hopefully she'd be able to pick her seat in the upcoming classes. It was her senior year, after all. Perhaps they would oblige to her wishes. But, then again, teachers never really do.

Grudgingly, Emma dragged herself out of bed and picked out an outfit consisting of her usual attire of a dark pair of denim jeans and a simple white, cotton T-shirt. Though she stood for a moment, eyes falling to a thick, black sweater that hung on a lone hanger in her closet. It may have looked insane that she would even contemplate wearing such attire outside in this sweltering heat, but the school was like Antarctica inside. She wasn't sure if the people who were in control of the temperature inside of the school had a reason to keep the air chilly, or not, but she wasn't about to let that thought seep into her bones for she quickly grabbed the hooded sweater and threw it on.

Shaking those thoughts from her head, she picked up her phone and checked if she had any messages. Ruby had promised to text her in the morning before her shift started at her grandmother's diner.

Despite graduating from high school, the brunette girl had decided to stay in Storybrooke to help her elderly grandmother with the diner. Of course, her granny had insisted that she hadn't needed the help, although the collapse in the storage room a month prior had told otherwise.

Emma was glad that she wasn't leaving, although that may be selfish of her. She only had Belle to talk with in school now, and with Graham's departure, she had no one else outside of school to hang out with. Hopefully one of the girls would be up to playing the new games that she had purchased over the summer for her and Graham's last days together.

Speaking of Ruby, a smile crossed over her face as she saw a text from said girl.

Hey, Swan. Ready for a new day in Hell?

Yeah. Right.

Emma hit send and set her phone down so she could quickly strip from her sleeping attire and don the casual clothing that she set out. Then her phone buzzed again, lighting up with a new message from Ruby.

The blonde teenager dropped onto her small, twin-sized bed with a pair of boots. Simultaneously checking the message and pulling her boots on, she read what her friend had replied.