Five

Day time, Morning, they had many names for Sun time, it was weird how these humans worked, or wolves.

"Come on concentrate. Think it's your tail," said James as he was trying to get me to walk from my bed. I sat up shaking my head, I couldn't do it. I just couldn't.

"Take her to the water," said my father. They both lifted be up taking me outside. They walked through coral like structures telling me what they were called, trees, till there was water.

Home.

They sat me down and then dipped my feet in. Oh no, I was getting the cloth wet, the pants was it?

"Can you feel it?" 

I shook my head. I could see it, I could see my legs immersed in the water, they looked so different then my tail. My tail may not have been perfect but at least it was one.

I saw a small fish swim up to my toes and I wriggled them and froze. I moved.

"I moved," I said. I tried it again and my feet slowly moved. I placed my hands on the ground pushing myself into the water up to half of it and the water was cold against it and I slowly started kicking and smiled

"I can move" I said.

"Good job Theles," said James. I pushed all my lower half into the water as I started to move and let go, I can swim!

But the water pulled me down quickly and I flicked my tail like I do but my legs did nothing. Two hands grabbed me lifting me up and I coughed. I couldn't breath underwater anymore. The water had clogged up my nose making me feel funny.

"It's different from when you were a Siren," said my father lifting me out.

"Come on, let's get you dry,"

I let them carry me back, why coudn't I swim anymore? It was such a natural thing for me, it was what I was born to do but now I couldn't swim and I couldn't breathe under water either.

My father suddenly stopped in front of me placing my feet on the ground but still holding onto me. He lifted his face, like he was sniffing the air. It was strange what he was doing and then turned to look at James.

They seemed to have a silent conversation with their eyes, I had never seen that before.  

“I’ll see you later today Thelea,” with that he had turned breaking into a run while he disappeared within those trees.

“Where is he going?” I asked as James held me stand up. I could slowly feel the rough prick of the ground under me, it was like standing on seashells and sand.

“Try and walk Theles,”

I looked down at my feet picturing myself moving them but it was like they froze up again. I imagined water around them, the cool water brushing against my toes made them wriggle.

“Just take a step,” I felt his hands loosen and I reached out of him.

“It’s okay I’ll catch you if you fall,” he said. His fingers let go of me and I wobbled grabbing trying to grab anything but there wasn’t anything.

“Step,”

I imagined the water come up higher and it made me feel more free. Like I could move. I took a step forward with my right foot and smiled.

“I did it!” I said excitement bubbling through my voice.

“Try coming up to me,” he said taking a step back. No don’t go back! The distance seemed too far for me and I started to panic again.