My Reason

In this little tale, two people find that even if you don't think you have a reason to continue, you do. Even if you haven't found it yet; it's there, waiting for you discover.

***

I have always been a loner; prone to walking around the city by myself at night. I never really worry about my safety as I do so. The night is a dangerous time to leave the safety of a locked door. I do it anyways. I don't really have any reason to be cautious.
No one would miss me.
I've never had a friend. Never knew a family.
I don't have a reason to live.
I haven't for as long as I can remember.

***

(Different PoV (and tense))

I threw my keys away as I left the house, and then walked down the road. I was on edge, something dire causing my hasty walk down the sidewalk at two in the morning.
Something I don't want to share. But I'm leaving. I'm leaving it all behind.
I have a small bag at my side, and a suitcase in my hand.
I will not be coming back.
I have no reason to.
I think I'll just walk on for an eternity.

---

She sat on a park bench at two thirty, her suitcase in front of her and her bag in her lap.
He wandered through his troubled mind, alone in a sea of streets.
She was crying, her vision blurred; unable to see the figure walking towards her.
She didn't need to see the knife to feel it, and she didn't need to see the blood to scream in pain.
He didn't think twice before he ran through park to find the source.
She was on the ground, a hooded figure a few feet away, trying to wrestle the long strap of her purse off of her body.
He confronted the man and brought him down to the ground. Blows from his fists connected to the attacker's face until he no longer posed a threat.
She was sobbing on the ground, the physical pain finally matching what she had has felt inside all along.
He walked over to her and bent down, unsure of what to do.
"Are you alright?"
She looked up, her vision cloudy. She couldn't even count the number of times she had lied to that question in her life. In just one day.
"No. I'm freaking not alright."

''''

He brought her to the hospital.
She got herself stitched up.
He was gone when she got out.
She tried to move on with her life.
He never changed.

''''

She looked out over the edge.
He hung onto the railing.
They didn't have their reason.

''''

He turned around and saw her.
"What are you doing here?"

She turned around and saw him.
"What are you doing here?"

They stood in silence, neither prepared to admit.

''''

She wrapped her fingers around the railing, leaning over the edge, staring down.
He looked at her instead of the depths below.
She put her foot up on the ledge and stepped over the rail.
He watched her movement with bewilderment.
"What are you doing?"

She said nothing in response as she looked over her shoulder at him, and then back at the edge.

"Don't do it."
He said.

"Why not."
She demanded; she wanted a reason.

He had no response. It was the same question he had asked himself day after day. The same question that had led him up there that night.
"You must have some reason to live."
He insisted.

She shook her head.
"I don't."

He climbed over the rail, and walked across the bridge.
She watched him come, clinging to the rail.

"Don't do it."
He repeated.

She studied him.
"Why do you care?"

He looked past her, towards the stars that hugged the horizon.
"I helped you one night. It was the only thing I've done in my life that made me feel that I've done something worthwhile."

She stared at him.
"Then why are you here?"

He shook his head.
"Is that important?"

She frowned.
"I want to know."

He held out his hand.
"If you come back over here, I'll tell you."

She watched his hand extend, and then looked over the edge once more. She pressed her lips together.
"Why are you stopping me?"

He frowned.
"It was like your scream that night woke up my mind. Your tears made me feel something I thought I'd lost. I told myself it wasn't real. I told myself not to believe what I felt."

She looked up at the stars and then closed her eyes, a solitary tear slid down her cheek, shimmering down her skin in the starlight.

"What if we left here."
He asked.

"Why."

"So this day becomes the day we truly started to live... Not the day we both decided to die."

"Why do you care if I live or die when you were on the other side of the bridge thinking and doing the same thing I was!"

She started to yell, and she started to cry.

"I don't know!"
He admitted.

"Then why bother!?"

"What's there to lose if you come down? Forced to live another day of life? You can always find this bridge again. But we can leave, together, right now."
He insisted.

"How did you change your mind...?"

"I wanted a reason to live..."
He said.

She stared at him, the water in her eyes reflecting the distant lights.

"Don't you?"

She accepted his hand, and climbed back over the railing.
"I do."

------

Heyo. So you just read something pretty weird. The whole setup was kinda strange too, but I wanted to do something different.

Which I did.

I have a few ideas for a sequel to this if anyone is interested. If not, then this is a loner oneshot, and this is it. Leave it at vague.

Unless of course you want to know what happens next ;)