iv. blood red suede

The next morning Maya woke up with about ten minutes of sleep and a fire in her throat. The night before, after the masked man had called her, she vomited for hours on end. Her eyes were wide open and red as ever, her tear ducts filling up with salty liquid. She felt a tug on her lower left rib cage to stay in bed, don't go out, you're going to bring chaos wherever you go- but she didn't. Maya Hart was a smart girl and she knew better than to disobey a killer who was out to get her and her friends. She rolled over in her covers and picked up her phone, barely even registering her fingers swiping to her contact book and calling Riley.

"Maya? It's eight a.m., we don't have school today."

"Yeah, Riles, I know." Maya tried to sound as calm as possible, even though her teeth chattered so hard she almost couldn't form the words she tried to speak.

"Oh, alright. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking..." Maya furrowed her brows, trying to think of an excuse to get everyone to come over to Riley's that night. A light bulb lit up in her head when she finally did.

"...That maybe we should all meet for dinner. You know, everyone, even Charlie and Smackle."

"So us, Zay, Charlie and Smackle?"

"Yeah, for Darby. I think it'd be nice if we met at your house and maybe we could eat on the rooftop or something. I just... want her to have justice." Riley was silent for a few moments until Maya heard sniffling beyond the line, and her heart sunk.

"You know what, Maya? That actually sounds really nice. I'm not crying cause' your idea is bad, by the way." Maya snickered.

"I know, Riles. I'm gonna call Zay and Smackle and Charlie, you call Lucas and Farkle." After Riley agreed and Maya had called her attendents, she sat down at her vanity across the room and looked in the mirror. She looked terrible. Her eyes were red and droopy and she had dark puddles under her eyes the size of the moon. When she checked her phone again it was only eight-fifteen, and Maya decided that if she didn't get any sleep she may drop dead.

The alarm she had set earlier went off at five p.m, as well as the ring for a text from Riley. Maya rubbed her eyes and grabbed her phone, looking at it groggily.

We're all gonna meet on the rooftop at 8:30. Do we need to dress nice?

Maya was just about to text Riley "no" when the unknown number texted her. When the banner appeared on the top of Maya's screen, she almost groaned.

Tell Riley that you have to wear formal clothes. After all, this is the beginning. Don't you want it to be grand?

Maya to Unknown Number: Okay.

Maya returned to her messages with Riley and told her that, for Darby, they should all wear the nicest clothes they have.

Maya: For Darby, I think we should all wear the nicest stuff we have. Is that okay?
Riley: That's what I was thinking. I'll txt everyone to let them know.
Maya: Thanks

What the hell did Maya Hart own that was met-gala level formal? After ten minutes of throwing her clothes around her room, her phone lit up for what seemed to be the millionth time that day. The number was calling her.
"Hello?" She answered wearily.

"Can't find anything to wear?" The voice asked. Maya shuddered. How the hell did he know she was looking for clothes?

"How the fuck did you-"

"I have something out on the fire escape for you. Be appreciative, Maya. It was expensive." Maya furrowed her brows and tossed her dirty blonde hair off of her shoulder, rushing to her window and unlocking the top.

"How much did this thing cost?" Maya asked, bewildered, while climbing over the window sill. Resting on the railing of her fire escape was a short blood-red dress made of silk, and a long white peacoat that extended over the length of the dress. Crimson suede heels rested on the grates below it.

"I wouldn't know, it's not like I paid for it." Maya hesitated, before gently grabbing the clothes and shoes and scampering back inside her room. She sat down on her bed slowly and laid the clothes beside her, waiting for the man to speak again.

"Well, put the clothes on. Get ready...

I'll see you tonight at eight-thirty on the rooftop."
___________________________
oh christ. oh lordy.
the next chapter will be up v soon. tune in to see what tf is gonna happen at dinner.