Discovered

“H

ey Allison, you wanna move the compound away from anything flammable? I don’t think this place needs any more explosions.”

Dr. Tersaki gestured towards a safe-room where I could put his compound. For once, I had a stroke of luck: my favorite instructor was the one I had to aid. I guess someone high up decided to take pity on me. If I had gotten assigned to Dr. Kennedy I would’ve been past insanity a long time ago. My fingers were sore from gripping a stylus and scrubbing windows all day, so helping Dr. Tersaki was like a treat.

One thing I noticed while everyone ventured around on Planet Dunghis? The place was dead and boring as hell. I hadn’t seen my friends for a little while now, almost a week, which probably wasn’t much but it still drove me crazy. Aside from the occasional tentacle embedding something important, nothing really changed since they left. I wandered through ARATO running errands for Dr. Tersaki, almost wishing for some kind of chaos to erupt. Of course, out of all the wishes I had, this was the one the universe decided to grant.

I had wandered into another section of one of the many buildings, looking for something Dr. Tersaki had requested. Since I went to the same rooms for sessions and training, I almost forgot how enormous the ARATO headquarters was. I found dozens of strange rooms, labs, computers, and even unusual classrooms. When I found the old lab Dr. Tersaki directed me to, I saw them: three scientists entering the area adjacent from me, speaking in a strange language. I immediately stopped to listen in. They were making a series of gargling and clicking noises. The hell? As I tried to get a better view, one of the scientists pushed a button on his belt. A gridded hologram rippled over him and I had to hold back a squeal. Silvery, bulky body with openings and green slime—Solvakes! While trying to avoid making much noise, I bolted out of the center in a mad dash to Reevus’ office.

Holy shit, holy hairy shit! They were here! How did this even happen? They also happened to turn up days after the Weaver went berserk. Were they connected somehow? Not to mention the Solvakes decided to disguise themselves as scientists. They could’ve been any one of my instructions right now. They could’ve been…oh God! Reevus! I skidded to a halt right in front of the door to his office. I tried to decide if I should turn around and run away, or kick down the door, guns a blazing. If left unchecked, the Solvake could get the others too. I had to be quick about it. I smashed the button for the door and made some kind of fighting stance. As soon as it opened, I charged inside. Reevus looked up from his digital.

 “Allison, what is it? Aren’t you supposed to be assisting—”

I raised my hand at him and it started glowing red. Reevus put both his hands up.

“What the hell’s gotten into you?”

“I know about your and you buddies! Turn off the belt! What’d you do with Reevus?”

Reevus’ face was blank. He stared at me with eyes that didn’t register a word I just said.

“Did you handle a bad chemical or something?”

“Don’t play dumb! Turn off the belt!”

“I’m not even wearing a belt! Allison, this isn’t funny!”

For a second, my hand dropped. Then I brought it back up as I shuffled to the other side of the desk.

“Move and I blow you through the wall!”

Reevus obeyed, but seemed very annoyed. I stopped. No belt. I gave him a sharp poke in the belly just to be sure. His hand flew there.

“Ow!”

I relaxed.

“Oh thank God!”

“Now will you answer me?”