five

"Christopher, what would you like for dinner tonight?" Mom asked as we all sat around the kitchen table. My dad was reading the paper and my mom was still thinking on what to make for dinner.

"Pizza. Pizza from Pacific Pizza," Chris replied immediately.

My mom sighed, "Christopher, I want to make something for you!"

Chris laughed, "Mom, tomorrow is 4th of July, you and Dad will be doing enough cooking for the entire street tomorrow. Take a breather, get some pizza."

"Gordon are you okay with that?" Mom questioned.

"Yep," he replied not glancing up from his paper.

"Pizza it is."

                               ~

I practically sprung out of bed this morning, it was the night game after all, and those are my favorites. It's not too hot and we have the clear view of the fireworks from the Sandlot.

It was currently, 9:52am, which means the annual street barbeque is in ten hours and eight minutes.

I walked out to my living room in an old, tattered baseball T-shirt and pajama shorts to be greeted by Mom in the kitchen already preparing for the barbeque tonight.

Changing the buttons on the television to channel 60, I flopped down on the couch.

''Blair, come make your breakfast. I'm not your servant," Mom said, still in the kitchen.

"I never asked you to make me anything in the first place," I grumbled under my breath, or at least I thought I did.

"What was that?" She snapped.

"Nothing! Nothing, I didn't say anything," I replied, scooting past her to get to the refrigerator.

"Mhhmm," she mumbled, unloading items from a grocery bag from the day before.

I ended up making toast, it was two pieces until Chris snatched one off my plate while I was focused on a recording of a baseball game.

"Chris, really? Go make yourself your own breakfast," I snapped, holding my plate with a half eaten toast on it.

Chris arched an eyebrow, "hostile."

Yet he continued to eat my toast.

I pretty much spent the whole day lounging around in my pajamas watching old games on the television, bickering with Chris once in a while when I got boerd.

I was practically counting the seconds until six'o clock. Which was when we meet at the Lot, and when they set off the fireworks.

Pulling on some jeans and converse I nearly made it out the front door when my mom said, "Blair, get in her and help me being this out to your father."

I sighed, "but mom! I need to meet t-"

"Stop it. Bring this out," she scolded. "Now!"

I groaned and grabbed a package of steaks and ran them out to my Dad who was at the barbeque, having a conversation with another one of our neighbors.

"Later Dad!" I yelled after tossing him the steaks, I was ecstatic for the night game. It was still hot but not as hot as the daytime. The fireworks lit the sky up perfectly for us.

"It's about time... Blairanna," Ham smirked as I skidded into the lot.

I rolled my eyes, "I'm like 2 seconds late and do not ever call me that or I swear to God I will-"

Benny cut me off, "okay guys come on. Smalls to take 1st base. Bertram, you 2nd Yeah-yeah, youre 3rd, Kenny, pitcher and Blair catcher everyone else outfield."

I pulled my glove out of my back pocket and squated behind home base.

Just before Benny hit the ball, the first of the fireworks went off, turining everyone's heads completely forgetting the game.

                              ---

We all agreed to meet later the day after the night game. Last night we were all out until late and were exhausted from it.

By the time I was awake and my brain was functioning correctly, it was 11:27am. Latest I've slept in quite a while.

                             ---

We all thought the same thing as we heard the gravel crunching under bike tiers.

The rich kids from the east side of town rode up in their stupid varsity jackets for their team.

"Oh no!" Squints complained as we all walked up to meet them.

"Look at this boys. The Sandlot Sissy's," Kevin, the leader of their so called "gang" said, causing his posse to erupt in laughter.

"That wasn't even funny, why are you laughing?" I asked.

Kevin smirked at me, "I forgot, you had to recruit a girl to your pathetic excuse for a team because no boys wanted to be seen with you."

Benny threw his glove on the ground, "you shut your mouth Johnson. Blair is better at ball then you ever will be."

They all just laughed and Ham started to bicker with Kevin.

"Butt sniffer!" Ham fired. Oh come on Ham, that was so childish.

"Pus licker!" Kevin replied. That was even worse, what are we? Nine?

"You play ball like a girl!" Ham shouted.

That earned a gasp from everyone. Except me because you know, I am a girl.

"That's it, you losers at our field. 3 o'clock today," Kevin snapped.

"See you there!" Squints shouted before they all turned away and rode off on their bikes.

"What a couple of jerks." Bertram muttered, picking is glove from the ground.

As everyone returned to their spots on the field Benny appeared next to me, "You okay, Blair?"

I smiled, "Oh come on Benny, it takes a lot more to offend me than that. I know I'm a kick-ass player."

Benny laughed, "You have a valid point there."

Author's Note: Sorry for the really short chapter guys! I just got out of school Friday and so far this summer, I've been a little occupied with friends and stuff, but I will be updating a lot still don't worry! Thanks to everyone that has been voting for this and I really appreciate any comments you have about 1st Base. Please leave any of your commentary in the comment section. I love reading them.
     xx- ash