day 1 \\ glad to be here (pre-story)

You came back to New York after five years of studying in England. And the first person who wanted to see you were your best friend - Hallie. You adored her because it was hard to not to. You first met her in the school of Dramatic Arts. You've played together in a play and easily became friends for a long time. She was the kindest person you've ever met. Before you moved to England, you used to stay in her family's house, watch films and help Hallie with her parts on plays . And you used to talk with her older brother - Jesse, about stuff he studied - anthropology. But sometimes he was staring at you in that weird way as if he wanted to say something but was hesitating. Sitting in your university room you missed that good time.

Hallie called you and asked if you will be back before her birthday and using your acting skills you told her that you unfortunately won't be in New York by that time. But you lied. Lied in order to surprise her later on. Then you called hers older brother -Jesse and told him that you want to surprise Hallie. And he agreed to help you. Jesse told you that there was going to be a family dinner and you can come in. It was perfect for your surprise.

Jesse opened the door in the moment, when you knocked. He saw you and smiled, putting his index finger to his lips. It meant to be silent. You nodded and came in. Everything changed in their apartments and you never liked when things were changing. You gave him a hug and he hugged you back awkwardly.

" What is it, Jesse?" you heard Hallie's voice from the dining room

" Nothing. Just kids are playing. I'm coming... make a wish" Jesse said loudly, helping you with your bag.

He slowly came into the dining room holding your hand, while Hallie was sitting with her back to both of you. When you appeared in the room , her parents smiled and she blew out the candles on the big cute cake. There was a man sitting near to her - Mike, her boyfriend, she told you about him only good things. You put your hands over her eyes and she suddenly stopped smiling.

"Who's that?" she asked

"Present from England" you answered with laugh in your voice

"Wha- Who?! Y\N, is that you? Oh my God" she stood up and turned her face to you.

"Hello, birthday girl" you smiled and she started hugging you tight." Whoa, easieeeer"

" I can't believe that you are here.... But you told that... How did you..." she started asking

" You have a very caring brother" you smiled and she looked at Jesse

" Of course it was you!" she brought you two together and started to hug. " Thank you so much"

She was hugging you both so tight that you accidentally placed your head on Jesse's chest and he put his arm on your shoulder. Hallie was the smallest but her wavy hair was everywhere.

You was glad to be back

Later that night you voluntary decided to help with cleaning and washing plates. But Jesse won't let you do that, so you were just sitting in the kitchen and watching him putting plates in dishwasher. From the place where you were sitting, you saw Hallie and Mike talking on the couch. Hallie was so happy and you felt happy too. You looked at Jesse who finally closed dishwasher.

" Thank you" you said, keep watching at him.

" For what?" he asked, looking about in order to find some dirty plates.

" For helping me to make her feel happier" he finally looked at you. He smiled and you smiled too. He has a charming smile but he don't smile too much - it was a thing that you noticed a long time ago.

" As I am an older brother - making her happy is one of my responsibilities. In general, I'm failing in doing that, but with your help... So, thank you for exactly the same " he sat on the chair in front of you