The eye looks at me.

I scream, quickly pulling it off and throwing it under my dresser. The ring rolls back out again, coming at me. My right hand moves toward it unwillingly, and puts on the ring again. My eyes widen, as I try to pry off the ring again, but failing. Shaking, I look at the hand cursed with it, the eye glowing red along with the purple of the band. It looks from side to side, then at me intently. It then moves my hand up, making the floor come up with it. The realization that I can move the very earth makes me grin, and then I realize the ring can control my hand, making me worried. What will it do? Does it have a separate agenda? I cautiously try to raise the floor again, and I do. I weakly smile, hoping it doesn't want to kill anyone.

Practicing with my new powers, I quickly discover I can also levitate things, as shown by the smashed mirror. I cleaned that up pretty easy. I groan when mum yells dinner is ready, only to agree with her when my stomach groans. I step to the dinner table.

"So, you like that ring, huh?" She says it sarcasticly, expecting to say I don't like it.

"Actually, its really cool. It shows my personality, and goes with my eyes well." I know it really doesn't, red does not go well with brown, but I needed an excuse.

Mum is surprised. "Ok... Whatever makes you happy." She smiles and goes back to setting the table.

After dinner, I dissapear into my room to mess with the ring again, then reluctantly go to sleep. My dreams go from what happened during the day to a very realistic dream.

"You found it?" A deep voice rings out through blackness. I dont respond, so the dream changes.

"My precious things..." Six very bright objects, so shiny I can't make them out, stand before me. For some reason, I make out six words as well: Ruby, Zircon, Citrine, Emerald, Sapphire, and Amethyst. I jolt awake, feeling a great power drawing me into an infinite sleep, forever with the six names...

Mum fully wakes me by knocking on my door. "Time to get up." She then walks away to prepare breakfast.

I stumble into my school clothes and to the breakfast table, finishing that and going out to school. I think about the six...things.

"Hey, Jay, how yah doing?" My best friend comes up to me and rubs my head, making me annoyed. We walk to class, talking about our weekends and the market, and then I show him the ring.

"That thing is so cool! Where'd you get it?" He takes my hand to look at it closer.

"I bought it from that dragon shop, the one I go to every year. It was the only thing I bought." I look over to his face, seeing shock, his mouth agape.

"This?! This ring is the only thing you bought?! Why!"

I look around before answering. "Well, it can do some weird things."

He raises an eyebrow. "Like what?"

"Like moving the earth and levitating objects." I know he won't believe me. As I predicted, he laughs.

"Oh really? Or did the shopkeep only say that to make you buy it?" I drag him to an isolated corner wheeling him around to face me.

"Look at this." I move my hand up, focusing on the ground, and it creates a small bump. I move it back down again.

"What the..." He stumbles back. "That's magic! You ever hear the stories? They're all pretty bad and gruesome." He looks worried.

"I haven't died yet, have I?" I give him a disbelieving look.

"Yeh, but lots of magic weilders are chased down for life. Very stressful life, that is." He shrugs.

"This is only a taboo because the King has it!" I say that louder than I ment to. Some people look at us strangely. I then say quieter, "I call bull-" the bell rings.

My friend warily looks at the ring, and we split to go to our different classes.

As I'm going to third period, I see a couple of girls snickering, and pointing at me. I stomp over to them.

"What?" They giggle.

"Is he fun?" I guess they're talking about my friend. They think were dating. I decide to ignore them and go to third period, brimming with anger. I pass by a window, and I look at my reflection. The most glaring feature is my now bright blue eyes. I blink, thinking its just the light, but any way I turn they're still there.

"Blue eyes?..." I look at the ring. It hasn't changed, and even dimmed the glowing a little. I look back up to see my normal, brown eyes. I shiver and go to third period, thinking about them.

In third period, the teacher start talking about...whatever. I start daydreaming, then hear a gruff voice, "Powerful ring..." I jolt out of the fog, looking around for the source. I look at the ring yet again, but it still hasn't changed. I glance around once more before I pay utmost attention to the teacher.

The rest of school passes by in a breeze, and soon I'm at home staring at my homework. I start to write the answers, and even though I paid no attention to most of his lessons, the third period homework was easy. And it wasn't even because of the voice. The answers just seemed to come to me every time I looked at the answers. Once I'm done, I inspect the ring again.

This has to be the answer to what's been happening. As my friend said, it was magic, and magic was unpredictable! At least I hope it is, or I'm going crazy. Before I get up, the eye looks at me again. I shiver, flicking it. It then blinks and...actually starts watering up. As the water drips down my finger, I get a crazy idea.

"Hey... Mr. Eyeball... I know your kind of harsh about not being on my finger, but can I take you off from time to time?" I doubted it actually could hear, until I took off the ring.

"That worked? That's weird! Maybe I can ask it questions..." Although, it couldn't talk.

"Ok, look left if its a yes, and look right if its a no. Understand?" It looked left.

I grin, a I prepare a mountain of questions to bury it under.