Chapter 6 - Up In The Air

The sun was slowly starting to rise, but activity within the room was already at a high point. Though it didn't appear any messier than when they first entered it, there was an urgency about the room as occupants moved around it.
"-what are you going to do now?" Vector finished saying to Espio.
"Strong winds... It seems very odd. Perhaps I will go as backup."
"Yeah. Fine. I'll be staying on the ground a while longer though. Want to look at some forest."
"There is only so long you can look at trees and not find it boring," Espio commented mystically.
Vector grunted and exited the room. Espio stood still a while longer. Zoin could be patient, but he also wanted to know of latest developments, and asked so.
"It appears we might soon be on the right track for Eggman's base," Espio informed. "Two of our group are investigating some strong winds to the south."
"How strong?" Krona asked.
"Strong enough to keep large islands afloat."
Zoin looked at Krona to see his brother with an awestruck face. Shaking his head and turning back to Espio, he asked where they would be going now. Espio said he and the two brothers would be going as backup.
"Whoa! What?" Krona exclaimed. "Following strong currents of air?"
"Not backing out now you've got a comfy bed, are you?" Zoin chided.
"Wha- Of course not. It's just that- That..."
Zoin could tell he had run out of excuses before he had even tried to think of them. He was now getting the adventure he had wanted for so long. The only thing holding him back was fear of experiencing new things. Zoin was scared too, but he was on a mission to find his sister. He wouldn't want to be scared witless that he wouldn't do anything, or even try to back out.
"Are we ready now?" Espio asked.
"I think so," Krona replied. "Wait. Where's Cream?"
"She must already be out in the Garden. Which we won't be seeing again. Not yet, anyway."
"Oh. Let's go, then."
"With no goodbye?" Zoin asked.
"She knows that we care," Espio said. "And she knows we're busy."
"When you put it like that..." Zoin inhaled slightly. "Okay, I'm ready."

The route to the high winds took them on a path that passed a snowy hill, where the remnants of a boarding competition remained. The three next passed a shipyard that ran across a large river. They couldn't see much of it though, as a storm raged over the water. Another forest met them, this one with more tropical trees. And the trees were more thinly spaced. This then led out onto a plain, and the wind started to pick up.
"So this is the area?" Zoin heard Krona ask.
"It appears so," Espio replied, looking up. He pointed and said "It is. You can see some of the islands."
Both Zoin and Krona looked up. Large islands were indeed floating, held up, it seemed, by nothing but the winds. A beeping came from Espio's radio, and he answered it. The two couldn't hear what was being said, but the conversation was short.
"Vector has just given me some more information about where we are going," Espio told them, returning his radio. "At the top of the islands, a huge rail network has been constructed. What for, we don't know yet, but Charmy and Mighty are investigating."
"So, we go up as backup?" Zoin asked.
"Exactly. Now before we do, I just have to say that what we're going to do will be dangerous. If you want to turn back and return, I will understand. From now on, we will be in enemy territory, and as much as I'd rather not take you along, it is your choice."
Zoin looked to Krona, and could tell the fear was there. In both of them. But Zoin had experience, and he knew that Krona wouldn't want to be separated.
"I'm fine. I'm going."
Krona was staring at him, as though weighing his options. "I'm game," he said in a small voice.
Espio led them forward, and the three of them were carried on the first of the powerful currents.

Krona had been scared of travelling by the wind at first. It just didn't feel natural, and it also felt as though he could be thrown away at any time. Over the course of the travels, he had became used to it. Now the fear was back.
Not because of wind travel, but because of what lay before them. Espio had mentioned it, but he never imaginged it to be that long. The three were stood on an island, next to a station, watching a train pull out and onto the track. This track had numerous lanes, and ran far off into the distance. So far they couldn't see another station.
"Hmm..." Espio said. "It appears the only way we're going to get across is to stow away on one of those trains. We can also study the route while on one."
"Right..." Krona softly said.
The station was decked in colours of dull yellow and the occasional black. Krona had heard him say something about Bullet Station, and that this place reminded him of that. Krona thought that the place must have been a rail network in the sky as well, and wondered what other adventures Espio had been on.
The three walked around, noting that the upper levels were devoid of motion. Trying to find a way down, they walked quickly across corridors, stopping at every intersection to check it was safe to move on. Near the centre of the station, they found stairs leading to the lower level.
Crouched down, Espio took one slow step at a time while Krona and Zoin watched.
"So this is where they all are," they heard him say.
"All what are?" Krona asked.
"This station is definitely a loading base. All of these capsules are being loaded onto trains to no doubt be taken somewhere. And that's what all the robots are doing."
"So, we run across?"
"We have no choice but to."
Espio took the rest of the steps down and swung around to hide from the robots. Krona and Zoin followed quickly. After a few looks around, Espio indicated that now was the time to move. The three quickly stood up and charged to where the trains were. The robots didn't notice them. Krona saw that they were still busy with the pods. Too busy looking at the robots, he didn't see where his foot fell. But he tripped and shouted out.
Then the robots heard.