001 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐍 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇

INIQUITY
CHAPTER ONE

EVEN IN DEATH

     SUMMER HAD ENDED AND TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. Elena would've been lying if she said she wasn't excited to start her junior year. This year would bring big changes for Elena and people would start noticing her for being Elena and not just as "Juliana's sister". Elena would no longer be in the shadows of Juliana, she would no longer have to compete against her older twin sister and she would most definitely gain more boy attention. This year it would only be just Elena. No more Juliana and Elena. Just Elena. And she was okay with that.

Although Elena wouldn't like to admit it out loud, she did miss her sister. It was hypocritical, really. Despite the countless arguments that they had between each other, one's that Elena would always start, and the huge feeling of jealousy that coursed through Elena's veins when her parents praised Juliana or the countless of friends she had in Mystic Falls along with the attention of every boy in school; Elena did love her sister. She was always there for her. Juliana always made sure that she got home safely after a date with Matt, always stayed sober during parties, always helped her with school on subjects she struggled with, and always made sure that Elena was happy. A sick feeling coursed through Elena, making her feel nauseas as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Juliana always made sure Elena was safe and happy and she had repaid her by letting her die. By drowning her.

Elena let out a choked sob, quickly covering her mouth in attempt to keep quiet. She turned away from the mirror, disgusted by her own reflection. It reminded her of Juliana. Elena was a monster, a monster that was filled with envy and hatred towards her sister. And because of her hatred and envy towards Juliana, she killed her. Elena couldn't believe Juliana was dead after she woke up from the hospital. She couldn't believe she had killed her. She remembered Juliana using all her strength to break and open the doors and windows of the car as it sunk down. Elena remembered how close Juliana was to escaping. Almost successful. And then she was dead. All because of Elena. The younger brunette had still been conscious enough to see her sister and it didn't take much to knock Juliana down. All it took was a hard kick to the head before the light left Juliana's hazel brown eyes.

Elena sobbed quietly against her hand. The sun had yet to come up, and the memory of Juliana dying right before her continued to haunt her every night. She wiped the tears that fell down from her pink cheeks, sniffling and taking in deep breaths to calm herself down. School started in less than three hours. Knowing she wasn't going to get any sleep, she slipped into the shared bathroom, washing her face and brushing her teeth. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying and the more she stared at her reflection, the more she saw it morphing into Juliana's face structure. Elena scrambled back in fear, her breaths coming out heavy and unsteady. Her heart beated against her chest as she shook her head, Juliana's face leaving and morphing back to her face. With shaky hands, Elena quickly turned off the light from the bathroom and left, closing the door behind her.

Taking in deep breaths, Elena grabbed her blue blanket and sat against the window with her haunting thoughts that never seemed to leave her alone. She stared aimlessly out the window, watching the rising sun as it rose slowly, illuminating the once dark sky. Her eyes shifted over towards her vanity, seeing millions of pictures that Juliana had decorated all over the outside of her mirror. Various pictures were mainly of Juliana and Elena from over the years, some were with their parents, with their little brother Jeremy during Christmas and others were of Juliana and Caroline, along with Bonnie, who made a habit of photo bombing their pictures together. Elena shook her head and leaned over, grabbing her green journal that Juliana and her mother had picked out for Elena on the twin's birthday. It seemed that no matter where she went, and what she had, it all lead back to Juliana. A deceased Juliana.