Chapter 4: "We're Both Dorks"

Start from the beginning

"I want to".

He glanced up at me, shaking his head.

"I wanted an excuse to talk to you. To
make one friend".

His eyes traveled back to the toy. I pushed myself towards him, a few inches of space between us.

"I don't want you to be my friend cause your in debt. I want to be your friend cause you like me".

I smile, conjuring up another blush from him. Was that his natural response to kindness?

"Well, what do we have in common?"

He asked, now making eye contact with me, or attempting to.

"We both like My Little Horsies."

I pointed at the chain. He snickered and clipped it to his backpack.

His laugh.. was nice to hear. Entirely unexpected. Even his smile, something I never thought I was going to see, was interesting. The face he made, an expression I wanted to see again, no matter how hard I had to try. He was my friend now. I wanted him to be happy

"What else?"
"We're both dorks?"
"You're the dork."

He pushed me playfully, I sat back and reached for the sky

"Oh no! I've been slain!"

I retorted in the most sarcastic way possible. He laughed again, grabbing my hand and pulling me back towards him.

"Relax, I won't kill you yet."
"That's great".

I faked a sigh of relief, giggling to myself. It was incredible how fast both our demeanors changed once we found out each others motives.

We were like children.

Dorky emo children.

(Well I (wasn't/was) as emo as him)

The bell soon rang. And I, not even eating a bite of my lunch, started to pack away the food.

"You want this?"

I asked Zane, tossing him the sandwich. He hadn't even opened his lunch bag and I figured he didn't have one.

"Thanks."

He stuffed it in his jacket pocket, standing up and pulling his backpack over his shoulder.

"We can walk to class together."

Oh right, we had Astronomy. I actually forgot. I grinned and started walking towards the classroom.

It was bustling with people. All of them in their consecutive friend groups. Most were surprised that I entered the room with the class know it all and definition of scene, but I didn't particularly care, and neither did he.

We took our seats, one desk away from each other. We chuckled collectively, knowing the teacher still thought we hated one another. She began to hand out assignments.

"Planetary projects will be due next week. Partners are required, two to three people in a group".

Personally, group projects always end in one way for me, I do all the work. And when I say all? I mean all. I was beginning to think that the teachers made this rule for people to just lie back and let one person bust their ass on the project.

Zane looked over at me, shrugging his shoulders and raising his hand.

"Yes Zane?"
"Can we pick our own partners?"

He winked at me, or blinked.

I can't tell. He has one eye.

"Yes."

She sighed as if he asked her to recite the Declaration of Independence.

"Want to be partners?"

He asked, reading the paper.

"Sure."

I leaned over and pointed at a couple of planets. My favorite one was on the list, and I was hoping to get it. When we were assigned planets, we ended up with Saturn.

"What a Sa-turn of events!"
"I'll end you."

Apparently Zane doesn't like puns.

We agreed to exchange numbers, making a date for our project. We decided to meet at his house around Saturday morning and stay until we get it done. I was excited, who wouldn't be?

I had made friends with the enemy.

-------------

Admin time!!

Can I rant for a bit on how Aarmau basically came out of nowhere and knocked all of the other ships out cold? No? Well alright, but I'm on Garroth and Laurence's side. Hope you liked this chapter! Stay tuned for the next one!