Chapter one

Location: Harvard University
Time: sometime around noon
Month: late August/early October

Serena's POV: 

"Pick any figure in history and write a paper on them. Tell me who they were and why you picked them. Give me details. And there's the bell. Have a good weekend! "

Saved by the bell literally. The gnawing in my stomach alerted me of the hunger that refused to subsided. It persuaded me to hurriedly shove my books in my bag and make my way to the door.

I shuffled my way out the door. 

"Ms. Romano? Can I speak to you for a moment?"  I stopped in my steps and froze. I heard my professor, Mr. James. I felt nervous. Why would he want to speak to me? I turned around and slowly approached his desk.

"Yes?"

Mr. James had his fingers clasped around his coffee cup. The edges of his spiked hair glinted in the light. I wondered if he used gel or hairspray. His jaw line was so sharp, I could cut my finger on it. The chiseled bones on his cheeks bones were literally cut from the gods themselves and I was more then willing to bet, that under his dress shirt, he would have a perfect V shape inverted at his narrow hips.
Even in his 40's, Mr. James was what girls sighed and mooned about. One can only dream that a man like him would sweep them off their feet.
Man, Mrs. James was so lucky. If he wasn't married...man oh man... I think -

"Uh Serena?"

My cheeks heated up. I had a feeling this wasn't the first time he tried to get my attention. "Oh yes, sorry sir. You were saying?"

"I said, my greatest sympathies for the death of your grand aunt. She was a notable woman." 

My tongue felt heavy. What do I say to that?

"Serena," Mr. James continued, "I want to give you an extension on this paper. I want to have it turned at the end of next week instead of Friday." 

I nodded graciously. "Thank you sir. Thank you so much."

My professor flashed me a smile of all white and waved me out.

As soon as I had my back turned, my smile melted faster then an ice cube in a furnace.
My grand aunt, Vanessa Notre, was the lady who wrote the whole code for NASA to send the rockets to space. She never got any recognition for it, and they barely credit her for it. The whole society as a whole would be rocked to the core if they knew an immigrant, and a woman at that,  was the mastermind in helping the U.S. Win the Space Race.

On a personal family level, I never liked her. She was so cold and distant. She sent great presents though and it was a big surprise that she left all her money and assets to me. I was her least favorite niece. We never saw eye to eye. Sometimes, I thought she would disagree with me just for the sake of disagreeing with me.

I made my way across campus into the parking lot until I found my black Audi. I sunk inside the driver's seat as the scent of leather invaded my senses. I decided then that I would pay a visit to my parents. It had been a while since I last seen them. **

"Serena! What a wonderful surprise!" My mother grabbed me by the shoulders and squished me into her water ballon sized chest.

"Mom mom! Don't smoother me!" I struggled out of her grasp to avoid being smothered.

"Serena! Serena! Serenaaaa!" My mother squealed and her eyes twinkled in delight.

"Look at how much you've grown! Oh this is so exciting! Have you been eating okay? Why are you home? How are classes? Is everything alright? Do you have a boy with you?" My mom quickly scouted the area and I nearly laughed at her scowling face when she discovered I came home empty handed. Knowing her, she probably murmured some unladylike curses.