4

The days that followed were awkward and uncomfortable for Connie and Jacob, they didn't know what to say to each other.
Jacob was scared to say something wrong in case he pushed her away and Connie didn't want to give him false hope...So they avoided each other.

Connie slammed her front door behind her, leading heavily on it she sighed.
Picking up her house phone she dialled Grace's number.
"Hello." Came down the line. "Mum?....are you there?"
"Hey sweetie." Said Connie nervously.
"Hi, everything ok?" Asked Grace picking up on her mum's tone.
"Yes, everything's fine...I was just ringing to say hi...see what your up to." Said Connie.
"We're just getting ready to visit the park...Mum?" Ventured Grace.
"What is it sweetie?"
"It's ok, I miss you to..."
Connie smiled. "How did you know?" She asked.
"You sound so sad...I can come home if you want me to." Grace offered.
"Oh no Gracie, you enjoy yourself...i do miss you...I miss you so much but that not what's bothering me, it's been a horrible few days at work and I just wanted to hear your voice. Tell me what else you've been doing." Said Connie trying to sound brighter.
"I've seen my friends I made over here...been sight seeing...shopping, lots of shopping!" Giggled Grace.
"That sounds wonderful." Connie told her.
"Mum? I don't get it..."
"Get what sweetheart?" Wondered Connie.
"If your job makes you so unhappy...why do you do it?" Puzzled Grace.
...............
"Mum?"
"I just...I...I...you know what Grace, I really don't know...its...i don't know!....There's actually something I want more than my job....having you back with me has made me realise that...." Said Connie deep in thought.
"What mum?"
"Ok....I want to ask you something....and I don't want you to jump to conclusions or get upset...I just want you to listen and think calmly before you react...and whatever you say I'll stand by your decision...is that Ok?" Connie asked.
"Your scaring me..." worried Grace.
"No...no sweetheart...it just a thought...a silly thought...but when you asked about my job something occurred to me." Explained Connie. "Can I tell you what it was?"
"Erm...sure..." Said Grace reluctantly.
"What would you say if I quit my job?" Asked Connie.
"What do you mean?"
"Hand in my notice...step down as Clinical Lead...what if I got a job with less hours...set hours?" Explained Connie. "Be there to take you to school...to pick you up."
"That would be great....but why would you think that would upset me?" Grace was confused.
Connie took a deep breath. "I want a life Grace...I want I life outside of work...I want to be a better mother...and...I...I want...Grace I want Jacob back...please don't hate me for saying that!"
Grace stayed quiet.
"Gracie?"
"I don't hate you mum, I love you...What if I didn't want you and Jacob to get back together? Would you still leave your job?" Questioned Grace.
"Yes!...I have a meeting tomorrow with my boss, I'll tell him then...I want to do this...I'm so tired...i want to have what everyone else has..." Connie told her. "You do like Jacob don't you?"
"I guess I do...I miss him teaching me things...he's funny..." Said Grace.
"You'll always come first for me, you are my priority...I've know idea where this thing with Jacob is heading but I want to find out...I really like him Grace...what do you say, will you give me the chance to prove myself?" Asked Connie.
The line was quiet and Connie began to worry.
"It's ok to say no if you want...I don't want to lose you again." Insisted Connie.
But still no reply came.
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything." Said Connie mortified with herself for bringing it up.
"I'm just thinking...." Said Grace. "I've not been very nice to Jacob, what if he doesn't like me...what if he makes you choose who to spend time with?" Queried Grace.
"Grace, Jacob thinks the world of you. He won't make me choose, he's not like that...and well if he did...I wouldn't keep him around for very long." Connie told her truthfully.
"Ok then." Said Grace.
"Ok?" Asked Connie looking for clarification.
"If you want Jacob to be your boyfriend that's ok...as long as you promise we can spend time together, just me and you." Agreed Grace.
"I promise sweetie...I love you so much." Smiled Connie.
"I love you too, I've got to go...dads waiting for me....Will you ring tomorrow?"
"Of course...enjoy your day." Connie hung up the phone and sat down on the sofa, a look of amazement on her face.