Chapter 6 - Connect the Dots

Start from the beginning

Electricity traveled through the man's body, a physical reminder of how much he missed her. He tried to savor the feeling of her small hand atop his heart, but the universe was not on his side.

It wasn't long before the other man in the house arose from the noise and investigated its cause. He stumbled through the hallway, eyes unfocused and sticky with sleep gunk. He leaned onto the wall and allowed his eyes to adjust to the darkness. When they finally focused, the man saw what he dreaded; his lover, with her hand outstretched, halting her ex-husband. Fury began to boil in the pit of his stomach upon seeing the disgrace of a man. He pushed himself off the wall, no longer in a lucid state, and stormed towards the man in the doorway.

The woman, Meg, heard the approaching footsteps and swiveled to face the man she loved. Fear froze the blood in her veins as she saw how anger had twisted the man's face. His hands were clenched by his side, skin turning a frightening shade of pink, and his face had adopted a sneer that would make God himself whimper in fear. Meg took a step backwards, closer to her ex-husband, and outstretched her arms in an attempt to shield either of the men from any harm.

"Kyle, honey, it's okay. He didn't hurt me I pr—"

"How dare you come back to this house!" Kyle screamed, cutting off his lover. He strode closer to the door, but his lover barricaded the door with her pale arms. The shabby looking man held his ground, he would not leave until he saw his daughter. "You know what happens when you break a restraining order?! You piece of fūcking shi—"

"Kyle! Calm down. Please! He didn't do anything. He was just leaving, right?" Meg said, turning to her ex-husband. Being the smartest out of the three, she knew the damage her ex-husband could do to her new lover. She wished to any God who would listen that her lover would give up the fight and go back to bed. Unfortunately for her, the Gods wanted to see it play out.

"No." Was the word that began the night's horrors. "I'm not leaving until I see my daughter."

It seemed for a moment that even the crickets froze from fear and anticipation.

Then the shit hit the fan.

The fury boiled over in Kyles stomach, causing him to shove his lover aside and leap onto the other man. His hands found the thick neck of the shabby man before he could react. Meg let out a shrill scream and pulled at her lover's arms. Kyle simply shrugged her dainty arm off and continued to press down onto the other man's throat. The eyes of the shabby man bulged as the circulation to his brain was cut off. He was quick to brings his hands upwards, attempting to pull the strong arms away from his neck. Failing, the shabby man let his hands drop limp at his sides and relaxed onto the floor boards.

Thinking the man was passed out, Kyle let go and began to stand, not realising his mistake.

The shabby man kicked outwards, sweeping Kyle hard off his feet. Kyle landed awkwardly on his neck, hissing in pain. As soon as Kyle hit the ground, the other man was on top of him, straddling him into a position of discomfort. The first punch was thrown by the shabby man, which connected to Kyle's chin, causing a nasty bruise and a badly bitten tongue.

Kyle's head exploded with pain and blood began to collect in his mouth. He opened his mouth to spit out a cocktail of saliva and blood, but before he could another punch landed on his cheek. His eyes blurred and began to roll into the back of his head as he passed out.

Standing in triumph, the shabby man walked through the door and into the small house. His ex-wife collapsed beside her new lover, holding one hand over her agape mouth. The shabby man's heart fell in his chest. No amount of time could make the pain of losing a wife and child go away. He swiveled on his heel and started towards the kitchen, afraid Meg would see the stray tear that slid down his cheek. He stopped in the kitchen, trying to figure out where his daughter was being kept. He knew his ex-wife would have re-located his daughters room, afraid that this day may have come.