Chapter Three

The ropes attached to Simon's belt fell with a thump after Krampus unhooked them. He hopped out the carriage, shivering at the contact of snow with his bare hooves.

The deer's tense expression relaxed the moment weight was removed from his broad body. He stretched his legs, groaning. The goat-demon observed him, noting how he froze when he turned to a certain position.

"Simon?" He called with an inkling of an idea of how the deer would respond to his next question.

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"How did you get those cuts? Did the king do this to you?" He gritted his teeth at the thought of the king completely brushing off what he said to him years ago.

Simon glanced at him before turning away. "That is not the case. I was simply hit by some trees on my way to pick you up. Do not waste your worries on my health; they are only minor injuries."

Krampus widened his eyes; he didn't know whether or not his friend was lying. With his arms crossed over his chest, he challenged Simon, "If that is indeed the truth, then why must you avoid making eye contact with me?"

"But Your Highness, I mustn't dare-"

"Be me a prince or a peasant, I will never allow you to think of yourself as lower than me. If anything, I am the low one," he said, chuckling bitterly.

Simon opened his mouth to protest, but Krampus held up his hand. "Imagine, a lowly goat demon brat suddenly being the heir to the Winter Throne− blasphemy, isn't it? Maybe that's why I was exiled; because the villagers couldn't stand my presence any longer."

The deer turned to him and frowned. "Rest assured that that was not the reason. No elf or reindeer here has ever held any malice towards you. In fact, it is unheard of."

"Oh, stop with your flattery. I could tell by the glares they threw at me when I was with the King. We both know that only you and the girl were the only ones that bothered to talk to me.

"Anyways, you really mean it when you say that the trees cut you during your travels? It seems a little strange that you would let yourself be so vulnerable when flying." Krampus questioned with rising suspicion.

"You know how much I despise lying. I've seen enough of it from the naughty children who I had to punish with my hefty bundle of birch. Ah, speaking of which," he trailed off while swinging his tail in curiosity, "how have you all been keeping track of the little rascals without me around? It seems that there are less sins to eat year after year."

Simon sighed. "King Santa will tell you when you arrive to the castle. Do you need me to guide you there?"

Krampus shook his head. "No, I want to see the town myself. After all, it's been a long time." He looked over the snow-covered landing with a whimsical smirk as he licked his lips.

"Understood. Have a safe trip. I will inform His Majesty of your arrival." He bid Krampus farewell before flying to the ice castle.

Once the deer was gone, Krampus sighed. He wanted to avoid meeting the king for as long as he could. He was still angry over the fact that he was banished from his home for doing his job, which was being an advisor as well as a prince. Why did I even agree to come back? he wondered, cursing at his naivety. Krampus hoped that the King would listen to his words and think of the people when he argued with him. Of course, that wasn't the case. Otherwise he wouldn't have been exiled.

As he jumped from roof to roof, he noticed how eerily empty the once bustling town was. His eyes scanned the town as he stood on the roof of some type of tall building that he hadn't seen the last time he was there. Even though the christmas lights were normally decorated the various stores and workshops before, no signs of life were seen.