Chapter 3

I slowly opened my eyes and groaned as I felt my head pulsing. My head was killing me so I decided to go back to bed. I only got a few minutes of sleep before my brother yelled out my name from across the hall. "Shut up!" I yelled back in annoyance. I grabbed the pillow from the other side of the bed and threw it over my head, blocking out the sunlight. About a minute later I felt my doona being thrown off me. "What the hell Noah! Let me sleep!" I heard him laugh. "You're the one who made me take you last night, so don't blame me now that you're late to school," I groaned as I waited for him to leave. It took me a minute before I realised what he said. I threw the pillow off my head and glanced at my alarm clock. "Why didn't you wake me earlier!" I yelled at Noah. "Shit!" I bolted out of the bed and headed straight to the bathroom. After taking a super quick shower, I slipped on my uniform and grabbed my bag before I headed downstairs. Noah was already waiting by the door with an amused look on his face. "Noah!" I yelled. He laughed at me as I grabbed a muesli bar from the cupboard. We headed out the front door and rushed to his car. I got in and checked my phone. I had two texts from Katie. 'Where are you?', 'If you don't hurry up now, you'll miss english'. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier." I groaned at my brother. "I tried but it was like talking to a sheep. This is why you should wait until you're older to go partying at night." I rolled my eyes. "Can you drive faster? I'm already late as it is."

"I'm going as fast as I can. Does this mean I have to sign you in at reception?" I nodded. "Yeah unfortunately you do. Uh just make up some excuse like, Alison wasn't feeling well this morning so I let her sleep in," He laughed. "Hmm you look fine to me."

"Noah please!" I whined. "Yeah yeah, don't worry Ali, I've got your back."

As soon as we got to school, we went to reception to sign in. The receptionist didn't look too pleased but she handed me a late slip anyway. "Bye," Noah said before walking off. I raced to my locker and grabbed my history and maths books. Damn it, why did I have to have English first period today? I didn't want to face Mr Collins after last night. It's going to be humiliating. I slammed my locker door shut and glanced at the time on my phone. Shit I'm already half an hour late. There's only twenty minutes of class left. I dragged myself towards the English classroom and flung open the door. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me. I walked up to Mr Collins and handed him the late slip, while I ignored his gaze. I couldn't bear to look at him. He probably had a huge smirk on his face. "Hmm, sick are we? Hope you feel better soon," I could hear the hint of sarcasm in his voice and I flushed in embarrassment. I turned away from him and walked towards the empty desk next to the window. I dumped my stuff on the table and sat down. Mr Collins continued talking about whatever it was before I interrupted. "So now I'm going to check who has actually done their homework," He started walking around the class and handing out a blank piece of paper to everyone. "I want you to write a summary on the first chapter of The Giver," I mentally cursed myself for not reading the book after school yesterday. "I know that some of you probably haven't read it, so I don't want you cheating by skimming through your books, just simply write on the paper, I didn't read it." I starred at the blank paper for a while before I wrote, 'I didn't read it' at the top of the page. "I will be checking these today and for those who haven't read it, I will be needing to talk to you. You guys are in year twelve now, and it is your job to make sure you do all required work, if you want to get a good ATAR," (The Australian Tertiary Admission Rank). Mr Collins gave everyone ten minutes before he collected the papers. When he got to me he frowned. "Ali, can I see you after class?" I nodded nervously. "Yeah, sure." He collected everyone else's papers and continued with the lesson. He was talking about the characters in the book but I wasn't really listening to him. When the bell rang, everyone quickly packed their stuff up, eager to leave this dreadful class. Katie walked up to me and shook her head. "I wish I went with you last night. I'll save you a seat in maths," I smiled at her and slowly packed up my things before walking up to Mr Collins desk.