Chapter 21

Hours later, I stood in my room frowning into my closet.  Harry had yet to tell me what we were going to do, so I had absolutely no idea how to dress.  When I had called him twenty minutes ago, all he had said was his usual, “wear whatever I wanted.”  While what he said was sweet, it was completely unhelpful.  After a frustrating myself by trying on too many outfits, I finally settled on black leggings and a light blue slouchy sweater.  I braided my long hair to one side and finished my make-up and decided I was ready. 

It was dark by the time Harry picked me up.  Always polite, he came to the door to retrieve me.  I greeted him with a hug, pressing a light kiss to his cheek as I did so.  He smiled at me as I pulled back, looking me in the eyes without the hindrance his glasses once again.  He must have showered as well, because his hair had dried naturally, sticking up in the front like he had run his hands through it as it dried rather than how it been carefully styled at school today. 

I noticed more and more often now, he wouldn’t wear his glasses around me.  I wondered if that was because I now knew they had been his dads, or if he thought I liked him better without them.  It wasn’t that I liked him better without them, because I really thought it was amazing that he wore them to remember his father, but I had to admit I loved being able to see his green eyes clearly.  It also didn’t hurt that he was so damn attractive, especially without anything blocking his face. 

“Ready?” he asked, gingerly taking my hand and tugging towards the door lightly.

“Yes,” I answered, intrigued as to what we were doing.  It was then that I noticed it wasn’t his black SUV that was waiting in my driveway for us.  Instead, a huge red pick up was parked there.  Searching my brain, I was fairly certain I had never seen it at his house before.

“Whose truck is that?” I asked, surprised he wasn’t driving his usual vehicle.

“It’s John’s,” he answered before clarifying, “Gemma’s boyfriend.  She lives with him, usually.”

I nodded, wondering what we could possibly be doing that required a truck. “So are you going to tell me what we’re doing yet?”

“You’ll see,” he said as he opened my door for me, offering me a hand to help me up into the ridiculously high car.

“Oh, so mysterious,” I said, rolling my eyes playfully and smiling at him.  “Thank you, sir.”

“Welcome, madam,” he grinned back, pretending to tip a hat before closing the door and jogging around the front of the truck to get in the driver’s seat.  As he started the truck, I couldn’t help but think how hot he looked behind the wheel of such a big vehicle.  He wore a black t-shirt beneath a red and black plaid shirt, and black jeans. I let out a quiet huff of appreciation as he looked at me, having noticed me staring.

“What?” he said, looking self conscious with the smallest of smiles still on his face.

“You look hot,” I said, trying to hide the quite tone of surprise in my voice.  He blushed, focusing on backing the car out of the driveway and avoiding my gaze.

“Um, thank you,” he mumbled, unable to suppress the tiny grin he still had on.  Finally, he looked at me and said, “You look beautiful.” 

I smiled widely at him, reaching over to hold his hand as he drove. “Thank you, Harry.” 

He grinned as he returned his gaze to the road, taking us out of our neighborhood and towards the direction of the huge lake we lived by.  That didn’t tell me much, however, because most of the town was centered around the lake.  No closer to learning what we were doing, I decided to just wait and see instead of trying to figure it out.