03. Coming out

Yoichi's POV

I walked into the house, the scent of vegetables cooking hitting immediately me as I took a step forward towards my bedroom. The wooden stairs creaked beneath my feet before I reached the top of the stairs and opened my bedroom door. Flopping on my bed, I curled up into a ball, squeezing my pillow as my mind began to wander. Was I really going to tell them? How were they going to react? Would I have to move out if they reacted badly? What if, by some miracle, they were cool about it? I could finally tell Yuu how I felt about him.

Yuu is the only reason I was considering doing this. His smile gave me confidence and his eyes remind me that no matter what happens he'll be there. My ears pricked up as I heard the sound of my name being called and I stuffed my phone into my pocket as I rose to my feet. 

The smell of cooked vegetables hit me as soon as I entered the kitchen, waiting patiently for my mother to dish up my food. I take the plate, settling down at the table across from my father and poking the contents of the dish nervously with a fork. Soon enough, everyone was sat, tucking into their meal.

"How was school today?" My mother asked, glancing up at both me and my sister. 

"It was fine," I replied, trying not to show how nervous I was. 

"I got a new project which I need to work on, so I won't be able to help with the dishes," Tomoe said, smirking as she shovelled another fork full of peas into her mouth. Mom rolled her eyes, chuckling softly. She would find any excuse to not do the dishes. I felt my stomach churn as time went by, telling myself I was going to do it every other minute but inevitably bailing. I had to do it now, while we were all together. Hopefully, since Tomoe was here, they wouldn't freak out as much.

"Hey, uh, I kind of need to tell you something," I started, my voice quiet. "But, um, I don't want this to change your view of me." My father glanced up at me, not moving his head. I felt my cheeks heat up with embarrassment. This was a bad idea, I shouldn't have opened my mouth

"What's up, my dear?" Mom says, placing her cutlery down and smiling warmly at me. 

"It's just...well, I know how you feel about this sort of thing, so I've put off telling you, and-"

"Skip to the point, kiddo," Dad finally says, mimicking Mom and placing his stuff down.

"I've felt this way for a long time...and...um, I just want you to know that it's not a choice, and I can't help it," I lower my voice, feeling my eyes well up and trying my best to stop the tears flowing out. "I'm gay." There was a silence and time felt as if it had slowed.

"What.." Mom muttered, standing. "After all we've done for you, this is how you repay us?" I could hear the anger slowly creeping up in her voice. 

"It's your job to look after me, my sexuality has nothing to do with that," I murmured. Crap. Why did I have to say that? I heard the piercing sound of chair legs scraping across laminate flooring before a brief darkness. My eyes opened again and my hand was immediately drawn to my face. I lightly stroked my flesh, hot tears causing my fresh injury to sting. I propped myself up with my hands and pushed off of the floor. Fuelled with adrenaline I ran through the hall and out of the door, my heart pounding as the cold wind whipped at my face. 

I slowed, my legs like jelly- from running or from fear I wasn't sure. I collapsed on the pavement, the artificial glow of the streetlights setting an amber hue over me.  I had done it- I had told my family that I was gay, and now I was homeless and with a bruise on my face from where my own father had hit me. I felt across my back pockets, feeling the lump of my phone. Yuu- I was supposed to tell Yuu how it went. What was I supposed to tell him? 'Hey baby, looks like it didn't go too well, see you at school!!1!' No, I couldn't put that pressure on him. I don't want him to worry about me. 

I struggled to my feet, whimpering quietly as I stumbled over to the nearest bench. To any of the few onlookers, I probably just looked drunk. Sitting down, I drew my knees to my chest and sheltered my flesh the best I could from the wind using the clothes I was wearing. It was going to be a long night.