Chapter 8: Arnav

Arnav paced the living room, unheeding of the decorators rushing around him. He checked his reflection in the glass doors leading to the poolside, second-guessing his choice of tie, but turned away with a huff when he realised what he was doing.

Stop being absurd, Arnav. She's just a girl.

He took a few deep breaths to calm his pulse, but a glance at his phone set it racing again. She'd be arriving any moment now. He took in his opulent surroundings, trying to see his home as she would – marble floors, high ceilings, expensive furnishings and chandeliers. Something told him that she wouldn't be impressed by his wealth.

She's free to think whatever she wants, he grimaced, it's not like I'm interested in marriage.

Arnav glanced at the front door.

He was only dragging out this farce until Nani tired of his rejections and gave up on the idea of marriage altogether. His grandmother was better off focusing her efforts on Aakash. But that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy it, especially when the image of her, eyes closed as she gasped at his nearness, haunted his waking moments. 

And his nights. 

Exercise had always granted him clarity, and as he'd run block after block the morning after that first meeting, trying to dismiss his overly sensual dreams, a plan had formed. He could play along, ask to see her again, and wait until she or her family rejected him.

They're too conservative to allow her to marry an atheist who's already married to his job.

And he would use their rejection to convince Nani and Di that he'd tried his best before gently nudging them towards his brother. Mami would be his greatest ally, he knew, eager as she was to see Aakash married. 

Even without his plan, the decision to ask for a second meeting had hardly been difficult - faced with a choice between making polite conversation over tea or coffee with a yet another family and seeing her again, Arnav had picked the latter. So he'd mumbled something over breakfast about getting to know her better, suggesting a second meeting before he made a final decision. Nani had agreed instantly, pleased with his apparent interest, and had started planning tonight's small gathering almost immediately. She and Di had created an uproar within the household for the last fortnight, striving for perfection.

None of this makes a difference.

And yet, his pulse quickened when the doorbell chimed. 

Arnav started towards the door, trying to ignore the sudden tightness in his chest, only to turn his heel and walk casually in the other direction as Hari Prakash rushed to answer it. Nani and Di greeted the Gupta family, welcoming them into the house as Mama and Mami smiled, but Arnav waited until Aakash joined them before approaching.

Two weeks had passed with only a tiny photo of her to keep him company through the long, restless nights, so his eyes found her unerringly. Khushi brought her hands together to greet Nani, Mama, and Mami. Her hair was unbound, a sleek ebony waterfall tumbling to her waist, contrasting wonderfully with her deep pink sari. Her eyes were kohl-lined and her lips slicked in gloss.

"Namaste."

 A blush swept across her cheeks as she trembled under his intent perusal, but her eyes were warm as she greeted him softly. Arnav nodded in response, earning a sharp jab in the back from Di. He frowned at his sister, feeling suddenly defiant, and shook hands with Mr Gupta instead of bringing his hands together as she wanted him to.

"Welcome," he greeted.

Di sighed and mumbled a complaint to Nani, who nodded sympathetically as Mama engaged Mr Gupta in conversation. 

"We've brought a small gift," Mrs Gupta handed Nani a stack of red and gold sweet boxes, "Khushi and Payal made these sweets themselves."

Payal and Khushi smiled as Nani praised their efforts before handing the parcel to a nearby servant.

"Khushi-ji, Payal-ji, come inside!" Di invited suddenly, grabbing Khushi's wrist and pulling her along, "I was hoping you both would help me set up the flowers."

Khushi glanced back as she was led away, and something blossomed in his chest when their eyes met. The rest of her family followed as Nani led them deeper into the house, offering refreshments and asking after the sweet shop. 

"Hai re Nand Kishore! Is this a house or a stadium?" Khushi's Bua-ji looked around in wonder as Mami sniffed in annoyance

"Don't cast the evil eye on our home! All of your Laxmi Nagar will fit inside it!" 

Catching Arnav's frown at the barbed comment, Mami subsided and hurried away to stand next to her husband. Luckily, Khushi's Bua-ji didn't seem to have heard. Mr and Mrs Gupta seemed no less awed as they crossed to the temple area. 

Aakash had hung back.

"Mr Roy called me a few minutes ago," he began, "There's a problem with the Nainital conference."

"Can you handle it?" Arnav asked, his eyes on Khushi as she helped Di arrange flowers around the temple. 

"The model is ready, you've approved the proposal yourself, and the function centre and accommodation are booked," his brother listed, "but some of the representatives are backing down from their promises."

Arnav watched Khushi as she wreathed the statue of Devi Maiyya with marigolds. She giggled as she joked with Di and Payal before bowing her head to pay her respects. Her lips moved as she murmured her prayers.

"Show them the documents they signed at registration," he suggested absently, "They can't renege without legal repercussions. We need this deal finalised by the end of the year."

"Yes Bhai, I understand."

He blinked away from Khushi, alerted to his cousin's misgivings by a slight tremble in his voice.

"Trust yourself, Aakash. I wouldn't have asked you to lead this deal if I didn't think you capable of it. You're doing fine. You don't need me."

Aakash nodded, ducking his head slightly at the praise. He started towards the temple, but turned back before he'd taken three steps.

"Are you coming, Bhai?"

His eyes found Khushi again, just as she turned to glance at him. Her hair swung out behind her as she twirled away almost immediately. She bounced in place, clutching the pallu of her sari, and then turned back with exaggerated casualness. And this time, when their eyes met, she graced him with a shy smile.

"Yeah. I'll stay."