Chapter Ten: The Circle

Start from the beginning

"I banish delusion." Nina said after a pause, and Cordelia could've sworn she looked right at her when she said delusion.

Nina glanced at Alex who said, "I banish jealousy."

Holding tightly to Cal and Kendra's hands, Cordelia raced in a circle around the fire, someplace between running and dancing. She felt light-headed, and weirdly happy.

"I banish hatred." Marisa said next.

"I banish anger." Madeline said.

"I banish school." Wyatt said.

What an idiot, Cordelia thought.

"I banish vegan food!" Said Nathan, causing Jade to giggle.

"I banish perms!" Jade contributed.

"I banish stupidity!" Said Drew pointedly.

"I banish powerlessness!" Tiana said.

Ethan's eyes flickered toward Kendra, "I banish obliviousness."

"I banish innocence," cried Kendra.

It was Cordelia's turn she thought dizzily.

Cal squeezed her hand hard.

What was she afraid of?

Heights. Death. Hurting the people she cared about. The murderer in the woods. Failure.

She wasn't sure how to phrase those fears to fit in with their banishment circle.

"Um," she said.

"Come on." Kendra encouraged, her dark eyes on Cordelia.

"Come on." Cal whispered, as if it was do or die.

"I banish limitations!" She blurted out, unsure of where the words had come from.

Then it happened. As if obeying a director's cue, they threw their hands apart from one another up in the air, and stopped where they stood.

In the next instant, Cordelia felt a piercing pain in her chest, as if her skin was literally being ripped open. She gasped, clutched her chest, and stumbled.

"What's with her?" Cordelia heard Indigo ask as she sank to her knees.

She felt dizzy, sick, and nauseous.

Kendra's hand touched her shoulder, "Cordie, what happened?"

Cordelia sucked in a breath and rose unsteadily to her feet. She was clammy, breathing hard, and felt like she would faint any second.

"Was she drinking?" Ethan asked, as he approached Cordelia, and put his arm around her, shielding her with his body.

Thankfully, Cordelia leaned into him. With each breath she took, the pain in her chest lessened and she became increasingly aware of everyone gathered around her.

"I'm okay." Cordelia said, her voice low and raspy. Although she was sweating, she was shivering.

She stood up straighter, and broke away from Kendra and Ethan, the pain almost gone. "I don't know what that was. A cramp...maybe i'm coming down with something." Cordelia explained meekly.

And that was when she noticed something was wrong with her eyes. She blinked several times and looked up at the sky. Everything was brighter, she saw every pine needle, every acorn, and every fallen twig in a sharp relief. She closed her eyes and realised she could hear each seperate sound of the night: insects, animals, birds, her friend's breathing, the drone of crickets, the music of a thousand seperate beings.

She blinked again, and looked at the faces around her, Ethan, Kendra, and Tiana wore expressions of concern, but it was Cal's face that caught her attention.

His gold eyes were gazing at Cordelia intently, as if he could hear her every thought, and see her very soul.

Cal's deep voice, seemed to flow towards her, as if his words were meant for Cordelia alone.

He said the words under his breath, his gaze fixed on her face, "I banish loneliness."

A/N: Ahhh this turned out to be such a long chapter! I'm so happy/sorry for those who don't like long chapters.

I owe you all an apology. I have finals which have kept me busy, as well as my own lazyness. I have two more exams before summer vacation where my updates should be more frequent.

On another note...we're almost at 1k reads, so please tell your friends about Wicked!

This week I wanted to dedicate this chapter to That_clumsy_girl who has voted on every chapter and who's comment motivated me to get my act together and finnish the chapter!

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter, and have a lovely day!

~Liz