°Percy Jackson AU Pt. 4°

Recommended Song(s) For This Imagine:
Bored to Death - blink-182

The light being emitted from Mark's hand bounced off many different metallic objects. Some were half-built automatons, others were just plain weapons, but you were sure there something special about them if they were in here. You wanted to stop and inspect everything, but Mark apparently knew where he was going, firmly pulling you further into the bunker by your hand. To your surprise, strange squeaks and squeals reached your ears.

"Mark." You said, hair standing up on your neck.

"Y/N." He ever-so-slightly mimicked you, looking around before taking a sharp turn by a workbench.

"What are you doing?"

"Looking for something."

"Well I think something is looking at us." You whispered, tilting your head in the direction of the mysterious squeaks.

Mark stopped his insistent pace, and looked in that direction. You slowly turned as well, and saw two glowing red eyes forty feet above you. Your breath hitched in your throat, and squeezed Mark's hand in an attempt to curb your anxiety.

"Hello?" Mark's voice wavered a little bit, but it was definitely stronger than yours. He increased the fire in his hand to shed more light on the automaton.

You gasped as you realized what it was. "Festus!" You exclaimed, letting go of Mark's hand to reach up towards the bronze dragon.

It snorted smoke, clearly wary and angry at you. He didn't quite remember you, after all it had been four years since you'd seen him, and he's been trapped in this bunker for all of it. "Festus?" Your friend asked you.

"Yes, he's an automaton Leo fixed and rebuilt. According to Jason, Festus means happy in Latin."

"He's beautiful. A true feat of engineering."

This time Mark reached out to the dragon, and instead of backing up like it did with you, Festus stood still, allowing Mark to run his fingers along his snout. "Oh Festus," the boy murmured. "You're all rusted and squeaky. Can I fix you up?"

Festus gave a few creaks as he lumbered over to an empty mechanic pad, which he must have been using as a bed of sorts. He laid down on his front, giving Mark easy access to his back and sides. You sat in an office chair, watching Mark work. It was mesmerising to watch his fingers glide through toolboxes and over Festus' wirings and nuts and bolts.

You hadn't even realized that you'd fallen asleep until a series of strenuous grunts reached your ears from somewhere behind you, and bright lights from around you seeped into your sleep. Wiping the sleep off of your heavy lids, you stood up to stretch. Torches all around the place were lit, probably something Mark did. Festus was already awake, and you weren't sure if he even needed to sleep, technically. The dragon stood watch, red eyes focused on something in the direction the groans were coming from.

"Morning Festus." You yawned, waving at him before walking towards the noises. "Mark, is that you?"

"Yeah." He grunted, and you spotted him next to a larger-than-life bronze hammer. It was so polished and shiny it hurt your tired eyes.

"What the Hades is that?" You asked. "Mjölnir?"

"Not quite. It's more like Hephaestus' magic hammer that's down here for some reason."

"Well you're not going to get anywhere lifting it like that." You stepped beside him, taking in his position. "Lift with your legs, not your back."

"It's not that, it's just ungodly heavy."

"Try making it smaller."

He stopped his straining and gave you an incredulous look. "What?"

You shrugged, walking around the hammer to look at it up and down. Closing your eyes for a moment, you could feel the magic humming up through the ridges in your fingertips. One of your gifts from your mom wasn't only intelligence or a pen sword, but the ability to sense magical properties in any object. "You heard me, make it smaller. It's saying that any flame-bearing heir to the blacksmith god can wield and control Lord Hepheastus' hammer."

"The hammer is... speaking to you?"

"Not really, I'm just able to sense magical properties in objects. Sometimes it does feel like they are speaking to me, though."

"Does it tell you how I'm supposed to do that?"

You concentrated for a moment again, but shook your head. "Nope, it's just saying any flame-bearing heir to Hephaestus can do it."

Opening your eyes, you could see Mark frustratedly running a hand through his hair. You cautiously took steps closer to him, hand outstretched to catch his. "Stop pulling out your hair, and let me try to help you."

"Okay." He sighed, letting you bring him to the handle of the hammer. Gently, you wrapped one of his hands around the worn leather handle, and placed the other on the impeccable bronze. "Now what?"

"Close your eyes." You instructed from behind him.

You kept your hands on his as he did what you asked. You'd never done this before, tried to sense magical powers in people. Mark was taller than you, so you couldn't see past him, opting instead to press your forehead against his back in agitation and in an attempt to feel more of his magical aura. He stiffened up for a moment but then relaxed, thankfully staying quiet through your process.

You desperately tried to pull up the microscopic information through his pores. Very delicately, it descended into your mind like a butterfly. Fragile, and easily startled. You slowly probed further, procuring his abilities and how he was to use them.

"Y/N." A soft voice entered your thoughts.

The data didn't move away, but you were still annoyed. "Mark, please be quiet."

"I didn't say anything."

It was then that you realized, his voice didn't enter your mind through your ears, it was already in your mind. You were inside his thoughts, his brain. Terrified, you snapped out of there so fast you lurched back, tripping and falling onto the ground. For some reason, you were panting, and you could feel a headache coming on.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Mark leaned down to look at you kindly.

"Yeah." You held your forehead. "Are you okay? I totally just intruded into your freaking brain I'm sorry I did not mean to do that."

"It's alright, it didn't feel invasive. It was just an experience, I guess. Did you get anything?"

"Yes, you can use your fire to make the hammer smaller. You just need to think about the size you want, light up your hand, and grab the handle."

You had your hands over your eyes, rubbing your temples as Mark did it, but you could still see the light through your eyelids as Mark summoned assumably a lot of fire. When the light died down, you opened your eyes again to see Mark but no hammer.

"Where'd it go?" You asked, then Mark held something out.

"It's right here." It was a miniature Hephaestus hammer on a keychain. He slipped it onto his lanyard, along with a couple other keys and keychains there.

"That's useful." You commented, standing up shakily.

"Are you sure you're okay, Y/N?"

"Yeah... I've just gotta go see an Apollo camper for this headache." You mumbled, stumbling into Mark.

He thankfully caught you, keeping your propped up. "Okay, I'm taking you back to camp."

"Take me to Will... Will Solace. He's a good healer. And don't tell... Annabeth 'bout this."

"Annabeth?" Mark whispered to himself as you felt yourself drifting off the sleep. Or unconsciousness. You weren't sure which.