Back 20 Years ...

"Hermione haven't you finished with that essay yet?"

Hermione spun around in her chair so that she was facing Harry. She had been tweaking with it for a couple of hours now:ever since the three of them had returned to the common room. It was only the second day of their fourth year but she wasn't going to let that slow her down.

"Almost. I've just got three more paragraphs to look through." She told him and then turned back around and began reading her work.

"Hurry up. We're going to watch people put their name in the goblet. Fred and George have made an ageing potion so they can try and enter." Ron added.

"That's nice, Ron." Hermione said, sarcastically, as she carried on reading. She read the final few words and smiled to herself about the ending result of her work, "Done. That didn't take too long did it?"

"No. It only took" Harry looked outside at the sunset, "about two and a half hours. Come on, no-one will be there soon. We'll miss out on everything."

"Give me two more minutes to put everything away and then we can leave." The both of them groaned and threw themselves down into the sofa.

"Be quiet. I could have taken much longer." She told them in a matter of fact tone.

Hermione collected her parchment, quills and books together, walked up the stairs and into her dormitory. Her bed was the neatest of four and, as always, she was the only person who had made the bed. The books were placed in a box under her bed and she got a book for a bit of lightreading while she was there. She also took her Time-Turner out from under her pillowcase and put it on. She knew Lavender and Parvarti would be back any time soon and would go rummaging through her things for fun.

She didn't need to fear about leaving it during the day because they didn't really go into the dorm while the sun was up. She tried not to draw attention to herself by wearing it so she hid it with her polo shirt.

"I'm here. I don't want to be gone too long we have double Transfiguration first thing in the morning and I need my sleep." She warned them before she'd reached the bottom step. Ron rolled his eyes at Harry and they left through the portrait hole.

True to Ron's word, Fred and George had tried to brew an ageing potion for the occasion and had failed miserably in doing so. As Fred and George had been fighting about who had been the one to cause the disaster, Viktor Krum had come and entered his name into the goblet. There was something about Viktor Hermione wasn't sure of. It wasn't negative it was more a sort of fondness that was growing for him. She shook the feeling away and suggested that they were to return to the common room for the night, seeing as nothing interesting was happening.

Fred and George entered the common room half an hour after Harry, Ron and Hermione. George told Hermione how McGonagall had begrudgingly dealt with their little problem.

"I see no reason why she should have helped either of you. It was a really stupid thing to do. What would you have done if you had been picked? If either of you died, your parents would be heartbroken!" She spat furiously.

Fred laughed in his throat and said, "Yeah, like that's ever going to happen, Hermione. Be realistic."

Hermione glared at Fred with disgust and turned her back to face him. From the corner of Fred's eye he saw something shimmer - a thin golden chain around Hermione's neck.

"Since when do you wear jewellery?" He asked pulling it a little so the pendant was facing him.

"Get off it!" Hermione screamed, causing everyone in the room to stop what they were doing.