Breaking The Balance - The Dangers Of Emotion

Anonymous POV – It isn't meant to be anyone so don't bother guessing!

How can you fight something that doesn't actually manifest in a physical form?

How do you defeat something that uses your friends against you?

How do we forge our own futures when we are constantly living in the past?

The events we have experienced throughout our lives have moulded us into the people we are today. Whether it was through immense suffering or immense joy, our decisions and the consequences that followed are what made us who we are. Through sacrifice or through determination, we each have brought an impact upon those around us – some of us may not realise it, but we have genuinely changed someone else's life for the better.

To fight a force so much stronger than we are is a decision that will most likely get some of us killed. Whether the loss of few will outweigh the protection of the many is a matter of opinion that nobody is really sure about. It depends on who you ask. If you ask Jordan, well he couldn't really give you an answer right now seeing as he is still in a coma but I'm certain he'd sacrifice himself (again) to ensure that everyone else has a long and happy life. If you ask Mianite, I'm pretty sure he is willing to get a few of the competition out of the way whilst ridding the realm of the creature that has the ability to destroy him.

One of the terrifying things to experience in your life is to watch someone you love slowly deteriorate in front of your eyes. We've all experienced it, in one way or another. Be it mentally, physically or emotionally – we've all watched in desperation, clambering for a solution or staring hopelessly as we realise the end is near. To stare into someone's eyes, someone you have known for years and just see emptiness, or nothing at all, is a haunting experience. That's not who they are.

They are owed better.

------------

Caitlin's POV (Time to give you all some information)

I was astonished by the level of stupidity in the room.

Generally, when you confess vital information that pieces together some of the strings of the mystery, you would assume that it would spawn rapid action. You'd think that the heroes that saved the realm once before would step up to the task. Since Jordan was out of action, you'd think that research into a way to save him from his own mind would magically appear and we could all build towards the climax of the story we all lived in.

However, we are only human. Well... excluding the gods and demigods in the room. No-one wants to be the first one to make a move; nobody wants to be the first to make a mistake. Hope is a terrible thing when we are balanced between clinging onto our sanity and falling into the abyss of darkness that awaits us.

In other words, everyone in that room was an utter coward.

"We are in the middle of a war and all that you can do shadow girl is stand there staring into space? Either contribute or get out."

My head snapped up to look at Tom, who was leaning over a map of the realm with a frustrated expression on his face, before moving my gaze across to Tucker who was glaring at me with an expression of utter loathing. Not sure what I had ever done to piss him off, especially since he was the one who got controlled in the last war. I ignored him, continuing to stare out the window where Ianita, Martha and Wag were training. As much as no-one was willing to let Ianita fight; there was clearly no stopping her. So instead of going against the young goddess's wishes, Wag and Martha were training her in both combat magic and in healing abilities – so that she could assist from the sidelines. During the night, I trained Ianita in battling with short swords and daggers; there was no point in training her with heavy weapons as with her small stature she would never be able to carry them.