Bonus Scenes: Infatuation

Start from the beginning

He’d written yet another new song about her yesterday. Ladykiller was the title.

Baby it’s not alright.
The second that you turn your back,
She'll be outta sight.
Baby she'll break your heart
The second that you spend the night apart.

He was being paranoid, he tried to tell himself. He’d proposed. She said yes. They were going to be together. She wasn’t going to pull another disappearing act. He’d be fine, he knew, as soon as she landed in LA. It was just the distance that was getting to him. He should have found a way to stay in New York for another week. He never should have let her out of his sight. Instead, he dragged out their phone calls until she fell asleep on the other end of the line, and he heard the words to the song he’d been rehearsing all week echo through his head again as soon as her voice left him.

I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it,

No, the producers had not been happy about his song choice at all. Not only was it a Maroon 5 song, but it wasn’t even one of his hits. It was a B-side, for crying out loud. None of them had ever even heard of it before, and it had gone from bad to worse after they saw the lyrics. This was supposed to be a family show.

He’d stood his ground, though. It was that song or no song. The fact of the matter was, he wasn’t going to be able to keep the words to any other song in his head. Not this week. Not until she got on a plane. Not until he saw her standing in front of him again.

***

Jane felt herself starting to drift into sleep, and she sat up straighter in Adam’s makeup chair to keep herself awake, humming the tune to the song he’d played earlier. Of all the Maroon 5 songs he could have chosen, she thought with a shake of her head, leave it to Adam to choose that one. He’d been teasing her all week, trying to get her to guess what he was going to sing. She’d been expecting something romantic. The Air That I Breathe seemed like a distinct possibility.

I figured out what it is all about.
It's you that I could never live without.
Your everything,
The air that I breathe.

She should have known he wouldn’t go for the lovey dovey stuff. Even when she saw him come out on stage with his guitar slung low, leaning back with his legs splayed in a slightly suggestive pose, she still hadn’t guessed. It wasn’t until she heard the keyboardist play the opening chords that she recognized the song. The perfect song, of course, after that endless week of late night phone calls. He’d winked at her in the audience as his team members joined him on the chorus.

Infatuation…
Not seeing the rest of you is getting the best of me.
It’s such a shame that you shot me down.
It would have been nice to be around.

***

Adam paused outside his dressing room door, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. He needed a moment to collect himself. He’d barely been able to see Jane's face before when he was up on stage under the glare of the lights. He'd had to squint, but he’d caught a glimpse of her out there in the audience the moment she recognized the song. He’d tried to maintain his seductive smirk, but he hadn’t been able to fight the broad grin that popped onto his face when he saw her laugh.

His grin was back again now as he opened the door, but he wasn’t greeted by the sight of her smile. Jane was curled up in his chair with his leather jacket wrapped around her, fast asleep. He stood and stared at her for a long moment, unable to move a muscle, unable to draw a breath. He felt his whole body begin to vibrate as the words to the song came unbidden to his mind again.

I’m touching your skin
If it’s only a fantasy, then why is it killing me?
I guess this must be

Infatuation.

"Jane," he whispered. She opened her eyes at last and smiled at him. He hadn’t thought the pure lust he’d been feeling could get any more intense, but the sight of her eyes lighting up when she saw him just did it.

Jane Jane Jane Jane Jane. She got on the plane. She was here. She was in his life. She was in his room. She was in his chair. She was in his jacket. “Who gave you permission to wear that?” he heard his voice say.

“I was cold.”

“Take it off.”

She raised her eyebrows at him, but she stood up and shrugged it off, letting the jacket fall to the floor. “Anything else you’d like me to take off?”

He let his eyes roam up and down her body for a moment, before breaking into a half smile. “Not seeing the rest of you was getting the best of me.”

She came toward him then and grabbed him by the shirt with both hands. “You can see as much of me as you like, Adam. From now on.”

Dear Readers: If you enjoyed this one-shot, please don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, and FOLLOW!

Thank you! <3