Chapter 7: Shiver (Part 2)

All of Jane’s inhibitions deserted her at the moment their mouths met. He was no longer the stranger, the famous pop star covered in tattoos. He was just Adam. His mouth was a mouth she knew well. She knew exactly how he liked to be kissed. Her body remembered too – her hands knew just where to go, her hips knew just how to move. She couldn’t have stopped them if she’d tried.

Afterward, they lay still together on the couch, half-clothed in their frantic haste. She had forgotten how easy it had always been with Adam, how natural. In all the years since she had left him, with all the other men she had been with, she had never quite been able to recapture that ease with anyone else. Now it was over, and she clung to him, twining her arms and legs around him, with no other thought than to hold onto the moment for as long as he would allow, willing herself to memorize every detail of him.

In another moment, she knew, he would let go of her, and she would self-consciously straighten her disheveled clothes, and they would say their awkward goodbyes. And then it would be over, and she would most likely go through the rest of her life without ever feeling quite this way again.

Adam held her in his arms with a feeling of deep contentment, his thoughts fragmented as he gathered himself. Jane. Janie. Here. So good. Just the way he remembered. Everything, everything he had been missing.

He lifted his head and rested his forehead against the side of her face. She tried to turn her head, but not before he had a chance to feel her cheek was wet.

“Don’t be sad. Oh God, I’m sorry!”

“No no,” she replied, wiping at her eyes. “It’s just been a really long time since I felt like that.”

He rolled off of her and sat up on the couch, pulling her over to sit on his lap. She met his eyes for a moment, and then turned her head and buried her face in the crook of his neck, unable to bear the intensity of his gaze. He closed his eyes and gently stroked her hair.

“Janie,” he whispered, struck by a sudden vivid memory. “Do you remember? Do you remember that first time?”

Dear Readers: If you're enjoying the story, please don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, and FOLLOW!

Thank you! <3