“Do faeries walk this wood this night, or is this our fair charge with whom it is our new duty to protect?” Aislinn was not sure of which twin this came from so she directed her reply to their obvious teasing to the space in between them. “I’m afraid I am neither, only the poor injured girl, currently only dead weight to your company.” She smiled to try and make what she said more a tease, but what she had said she realised was the truth.

“Never would you be a burden, my lady. It is our pleasure to protect you. You are far easier to protect, and far easier on the eye than Camdyn.” The endearing smile and speech had definitely come from the one closest to her. The must have noticed her trying to work them out like a puzzle. The closest one to her was the one to speak again. “Artair, my lady” he said with a flourish and a slight bow, then with a gesture towards his double, “My brother, and obviously less attractive twin, Aonghus.” To Aislinns amusement Aonghus response to this was to hit his brother on the back of his head, with such force it almost toppled him off balance. The giggle that escaped her, shocked herself, and made both twins fall a tiny bit in love with her. But the look Artair gave his brother promised retaliation.

“Well, I will remember your names. However, I cannot promise to call the right person by the right name.” Their grins widened at her words, but then dimmed at her next words. “And please, I am not a lady, so it would not be right of me to allow you to continue calling me such. I am just plain old Aislinn.”

The second man, Aonghus, stepped forward. “My lady,” he very deliberately said the words, “I am a feared that as you are under the protection of Camdyn and he has instructed us of how to address you. And his orders take precedence over yours. I am sorry m’lady.” Only to Aislinn it sounded like he was not sorry at all. “However, even if it was not by Camdyn’s orders, both I and my brother would call you by nothing else. Although, we will tell you a secret to make you feel better.”

Artair stepped forward and flawlessly took over from his brother’s speech. “If you look carefully, I have a tiny scar through my eyebrow.” He leaned forward slightly so that she could just make out the scar in the low light. “That is how Camdyn and Hamish tell us apart, but only those two and our parents know the secret to telling us apart. That secret, my lady, we share with you. Hoping you will not hold it against us that we put you is such high esteem.” There was something charming in the way the twins interacted together, and she felt pulled into them in a friendship, she could not and would not want to stop from happening.

The mood suddenly changed. The twins snapped to attention and stepped back from her. Totally confused with the sudden change she turned to see a hulking shadow heading towards them. She knew exactly who this was, and somehow knew he was trying, badly, too hold back anger. Unsure as to why he was angry, instead of running as she usually would do, she tried instead to distract him from his anger. “Camdyn, are you unable to sleep either. How fortunate that you should come this way. I’m afraid I was forcing your dashing guards to keep me company, but if you would do me the honour instead?”

The twins were aghast and completely amazed of this slip of a woman in front of them. They knew how Camdyn’s anger could brood or explode and even though they knew he would not intentionally focus that upon a woman, she might try to intercede if he aimed his anger fully upon them.

Camdyn was completely thrown off guard by Aislinn. He had made his way back to the tent after seeing to some issues with the wagons and his men, only to find her gone. After checking to make sure all of his men were present, and did not have the extra presence of Aislinn with them, which may have led to some bloodshed, he had headed towards the twins as the current camp guards to see if they had noticed her disappearance. Only to find her stood there conversing with the twins, and the twins fawning over her practically salivating.

“Aonghus, Artair. I am sure that guarding camp does not usually involve staring at a lady who could probably not even take Corey down, let alone attack all of us.” Not that he didn’t think Corey would like her to take him down, but that was for him to think on at another time. “Aislinn, if you cannot sleep, you cannot decided to wander around camp in the middle of the night.” He cut off the twins with a look after feeling they were going to jump to her defence. He had vowed to protect her and if that meant showing her where she was wrong, then so be it. After letting his gaze drift back to her, his resolve was shaken. The disappointment he sensed more than saw had him offering to take her for a walk if it would help her to occupy herself until she wished to sleep again.

Another sharp glance at the twins showed them looking out from the camp back on duty, but did not hide their amusements from him at all. He ignored them and turned to offer his arm to the woman before him. Hopefully this will give him the opportunity to find out some information about her and her life. He tried to tell himself it was so that he could better protect her. When in reality he just wanted to find out more about her.