Chapter 3

After we watched Pride and Prejudice, we were so hungry. Riley wanted to eat Oreos but I wanted fried chicken. My parents were heading to sleep, leaving us alone in the kitchen. Riley accidentally spilled the Oreos in the powder and I accidently shoved them in the frying pan. Our actions were too fast for us to realize that we’d just cooked fried Oreos. We were too hungry to resist eating them though. They turned out to be so good!

We were very happy with our ‘accidental’ creation. Riley slept over but left this morning.

I was in the car with my family, driving to the Carter house. My mother wanted me to look my best so I wore a white dress that had a purple outline. It had a silky texture and went down to my knees. My brown hair was pulled into a French braid that fell to the side but my fringe and a few loose strands were left to frame my face. My mum tried insisting I wear heels, but I already looked overdressed and begged to wear my Vans. After minutes of arguing, we came to an agreement on white ballet flats.

The car came to an abrupt halt and parked in front of a very large house. The bricks were bright red and the garden was impeccably beautiful. The house, though large, looked cozy. I got out of the car and head over to the front door to join my parents. My mother was dressed in a blue satin dress that went a tad bit over her knees and black 2-inch heels. My father wore a fine brown suit.

We rang the doorbell but there’s no answer. We rang it again. This time we heard shouting coming through the door.

Suddenly, a beautiful woman who looked in her early 30’s, wearing a loose grey shirt and blue faded jeans, opened the door grinning at us. She carried a little boy who was looking the other way. She had long wavy golden brown hair and capturing grey eyes.

“Jules!” My mother greeted.

 “Hi Anna, Eric and you must be Maeve!” the woman replied brightly, her eyes landing on me when she said my name. I smiled politely at her.

 “Well we brought brownies,” my mother said, handing them to the woman.

“How sweet, c’mon in!” she said

 I stepped inside the house and gaped. It was beautiful, with the chandelier hanging on the ceiling, the creamy walls and the shiny tiles. The stairs were probably the best feature of the house. It was long and majestic with its golden railings and walnut floor. I was too attracted to the house to realize I’d accidently hit a boy as I was walking.

“Sorry,” I apoligised.

He shot me a cold glare and walked away. Great. I’d already made a bad impression on the kid. I continued walking and Julia lead us over to the kitchen and dining room. The dining area had walls on the right that were massive windows stretching from the ceiling to the floor.

 “You have a beautiful home Julia” my father complimented.

 “Ah thank you. Anyway let me get the others to join us. I’ve made lasagne for lunch” Julia replied.

 “Others?” the words escaped my lips instantly.

“Well yes. They would want to meet you of course. Thank you for wanting to babysit them”

 I gulped and faked a smile. Others? I’ve already seen two! How many more are there?

 Julia placed the young boy on the ground but he just ran out of the room. Julia gave us an apologetic smile and pointed to the seats in front of us before heading out of the door. My family and I pulled a chair each and waited quietly for Julia and her kids to come back.

 I began playing with the spoon in front of me and a nervous feeling took over my stomach. I needed to bail. I told so myself. I can’t handle more kids. This is going to be a long day.